Absolute beginner - question on Pixels

Lynda.Skeggs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, Hope someone can help - I have to create a poster at work and want to use a snakes & ladders JPeg found on the Dreamstime site. The finished poster is A1 size 594mm x 841mm. The last photo I used got quite badly degraded and lost definition.
I had a wide range of sizes from 480x480 pixels right the way up to 4094x4094 - this largest size was too big for my screen and wouldn't view in Photo Editor. Does anyone know if a mid range size, say 1732x1732 pixels would do the job? I'm going to have it as a faded (ghosted) 10% tint anyway so it doesn't have to be perfect.
Many Thanks, Lynda

Screen resolution is typically 72 PPI (pixels per inch). Print resolution is typically 300 PPI for photo prints, but you can go lower for many things. Maybe 240 or even 150.

So while 1732 x 1732 would be huge on a screen (24") it would be less than 6" at 300 PPI.

Of course, one thing to consider is the viewing distance of the print. You aren't meant to view an A1 print with your nose pressed up against it....it's meant to be viewed from maybe 2 meters away, at which point, a lower resolution probably wouldn't be noticed.

I would suggest the largest size, 4094 pixels. Even that is only going to be around 125 PPI.

Hi Big Mike
Success - did as you suggested and got a really sharp image when expanded to A1 size. Our Team are now confident we have the winning poster! Many thanks for all
your help, Lynda

Most reactions

Back