Absolutley totally off topic.

Congratulations on the teaching gig Lew, and have fun on what sounds like a wonderful vacation/adventure.

Interestingly this trip is not prohibitively expensive, especially when compared to travel to Europe, Australia or Africa.
So you all can go.

Woo- Hoo, Ok, so Lew is treating, sign up now!

I had visions if being a teacher in U.S. Schools, but did not come to be. So I admire this part of your story. My only experience with inmates was way back. When I was 17-18 in 1974 ish... I worked in a local seaside restaurant in the kitchen. My older brother also worked there as the 'broiler guy' . I worked near the guy who was out on work release from the county jail. He washed the pots, I was the salad girl :)
At night, my brother always volunteered to drive him back to the jail. He would sit in front of my brothers 1972 VW bug (paid $2000 new) and after we dropped him off, I moved to the front. Nice guy,
thanks for that little memory.
Have a great time teaching and a great trip Lew!!
Nancy

Teach them ANOVA. Teach them ANOVA. I love statistics, surprisingly. Had it beaten into me in college, and now I kind of miss it. And congrats! Super jealous of all your foreign travels.

Jake

Right now we have spicejet offering return trip from bangkok for less than 125$, of course it's a lot closer, still! ;)

Congratulations Lew, very happy for you.. I wish we all had the motivation to commit to our plans like you do.. :)

Congratulations on the teaching gig Lew, and have fun on what sounds like a wonderful vacation/adventure.

Thanks

My only experience with inmates was way back.

I live only about 12 miles away but in a really, really different world than (Howard County, MD) the town the prison is in(Jessup, MD); my experience with inmates is zero (except for inmates in Long Binh jail in Vietnam) so I am really looking forward to the experience alone.

Teach them ANOVA. Teach them ANOVA. I love statistics, surprisingly. Had it beaten into me in college, and now I kind of miss it. And congrats! Super jealous of all your foreign travels.

Jake

TAIWAN! Not China!!!

Oops, sorry.
Just finished reading River Town by Peter Hessler and China was on my mind.

Right now we have spicejet offering return trip from bangkok for less than 125$, of course it's a lot closer, still! ;)
Congratulations Lew, very happy for you.. I wish we all had the motivation to commit to our plans like you do.. :)

What keeps me from visiting India is the size, I couldn't get away for 4 or 5 months. My son was just there for a month and loved it.

Jake

I'm not certain we'll get that far. One of the issues is their limited availability of computers so they can't get to actually do any calculations and I also want to throw in some non-parametric stuff (that can reasonably done by hand) and we only meet once a week.
My goal is that they understand what is going on, not as much as being able to do calculations or set up designs.

About the travel.
If I were single - and your age - I would travel with every penny I could muster.
My grand-daughter went to 4 years of university in Paris, has seen all of Europe, been to North Africa, Egypt, China (for a semester) and Russia.
Of course, her every penny was contributed partly by my son.:D

@ D-B-J: I'd second Lew's advice. Travel before you get all settled down. Around your age, I bicycled (as in 10-speed) throughout much of New England, then did the same in France and England for about 6 weeks. My youngest daughter has visited most countries in Europe, and lived in Peru and Guatamala for several months. Living like a local teaches you much about the other parts of the world. Helps puncture many preconceptions that one may have picked up along the way.

Jake

I'm not certain we'll get that far. One of the issues is their limited availability of computers so they can't get to actually do any calculations and I also want to throw in some non-parametric stuff (that can reasonably done by hand) and we only meet once a week.
My goal is that they understand what is going on, not as much as being able to do calculations or set up designs.

About the travel.
If I were single - and your age - I would travel with every penny I could muster.
My grand-daughter went to 4 years of university in Paris, has seen all of Europe, been to North Africa, Egypt, China (for a semester) and Russia.
Of course, her every penny was contributed partly by my son.:D

Ohhhhh, gotcha. Yeah, ANOVA by hand is terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back