accessories

pursuer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a little cash saved up and Im planning on spending it on some photography accessories. I'm thinking about some filters, such as infrared, ND and polarizing. From what I have read Im probably going to go with a hoya R72 for the infrared but I have no idea what to get for the others. I understand the ND filters come in different opacities, If I were to get two that I could stack what would be a good combination? What should I look for in a polarizer?

Im also thinking of getting a fast prime probably around the standard 50mm. Im not looking for anything fancy, I don't want to spend more then $600 CND for everything.

Im still learning so these are all just for general use. Any suggestions or info on what filters or lenses I should consider will be very appreciated. Also feel free suggest anything else you think I could benefit from in my price range.

Right now all I have for equipment is my:

Canon 300D,
the kit 18-55mm lens,
Canon EF 55-200MM lens,
UV filters a remote shutter release and a low end tripod.

Nothing? Ok I did ask a lot of questions, how about just some advice on what netral density filters would be best.

First question is, what lens do you plan to use the IR filter on? Not all lenses work well for IR photography.

Here's a link to my journal on DA with a list of Canon mount lenses that work, and what ones don't work.

http://mperko.deviantart.com/journal/4289193/

As for ND filters, what are you planning to do with them? A graduated ND is good for landscapes where the dynamic range is very high, for instance sunsets. The strength of the filter is dependant on the situation really. If you want to shoot a long exposure of a street scene in broad daylight, you'll want a very strong one, like a 9 stop or greater, but for getting some motion blur on running water a 3 stop will be enough usually.

When I look at your equipment list, the first purchase that comes to mind is a 50mm f/1.8, which will also work very well for your IR photography.

I can help you with the lens. If you're willing to spend a few hundred on the lens (like around $370CND), then the Canon 50mm f1.4 USM is said to be a nice lens. If you want something cheaper (like about $90CND), then the Canon f1.8 (which I personally own) is also a very good lens. It does have a bit of a cheap feel to it, as the casing and mount are basically all plastic, but the images it makes are nice and sharp and everything. In comparisons I've heard, the 1.4 is slightly better optically, but not by a whole lot (and probably not proportionally to the price difference). But if you prefer a lens with USM and a more solid feel, I'm sure the 1.4 will be a great lens. If you want something cheaper and don't mind the light construction, then the 1.8 is an excellent buy for the money.

Guys thanks for the suggestions and links, that is a great help. I actually remember reading about the hotspot problem but I completely forgot about it lol. looking at your list it seems the rebels kit lens, which I was planning on using, won't do the job. So I will have to plan on using what ever new lens I get. As for the ND filters I was thinking of playing around with both long daylight exposures and bluring water and smoke etc..
That gives me a good starting point, I will shop around and see what I can find. Thanks again.

I just got home with my new canon 50mm f/1.8, a 2 stop ND filter, polarizing filter a lowepro camera backpack and of course a uv filter for the new lens. thanks again for the help guys, im off to try out the new lens :bounce:

Enjoy :) It's a great lens. I just sold mine along with my 300D to a friend, so I was sure to order another for myself. I threw in a 85 f/1.8 too :p

Most reactions

Back