Aces of Spades Dealt from Her Sleeve ~ Chern A.

JohnKokWithAdSLR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Recently I expanded onto Av mode shooting with spot focusing, ambient light is use during the shoots.

This is Chern, shes the most meticulously intelligent girl/model I have ever met.

cooliomodechernangfamecherry.jpg

chernangcoolmodefamecherry.jpg
Biker

sleekvogueroguechernangfamecherry.jpg
hairsupflyingchernangfamecherry.jpg
ESMERALDA

winkoffamechernangfamecherry.jpg

C & C welcome, please be harsh as possible, I wish to learn

EXIF
#1 - 1/60, f2.8, ISO 800, 50 mm
#3 - 1/100, f2.8, ISO 800, 50 mm
#4 - 1/125, f2.8, ISO 800, 50 mm
#5 - 1/60, f2.8, ISO 800, 50 mm
#2 - 1/250, f2.8, ISO 3600, 50 mm

Sorry about the small pictures, got bigger ones here

Artistically Scientific Side of Things

I am mainly here for technical improvement but please allow me the opportunity to share a little bit about my actual work.

All these photos that I posted all along are actually from my invention of an article that I hope can help us, through pictures and words, understand another person to a certain degree.

The full article for Chern is here -> Full Article

After reading the article and looking at the photos, please try to use all of the emotions and impressions generated by them to, in your mind, reconstruct an individual. If what you have constructed in your mind is at least 10 % of the real person then my experimental article is on the right track.
I would be grateful for any feedback at all as they are valuable for my experiment’s progress. Thank you ;-)

The Reason Why I Shoot in Malls

In our modern lives, the shopping mall and the cafe plays a rather vital role to our everyday routine and existence.

I personally feel that for this line of articles, capturing the subject in this environment is the second best to actually doing it in the subject's home or workplace. While the environment itself may be less than idealistic for photography ( bg messy, color mismatch no harmony etc ) , perhaps that itself is the metaphoric representation of what life is about ?

In my perception, life has no guarantees, life is never idealistic and in all circumstance we always have to make do and give our very best in whatever we do with whatever meager resources we have at the moment in time.

It is with this same approach that I approach the photographic work for this series, what I really want to be able to learn is to make do with what I have and try my very best to create the very best works in the most unidealistic of enviroments.

Last edited:
i like #1. thats really it. nothing really grabs me on this set.

That's a nice-looking mall behind her. With those horizontal compositions, we get to see 75% mall, and 25% pretty girl.

Agreed^ , like i mentioned before you need to balance the light use a flash!

I kinda like that photo where she is holding her hair out, but I think it would be better if we could see her hands

The impromptu settings are compromising your pictures and dictating some of the compositions. You have these wonderful, young ladies to direct and photograph.. more imagination and planning needed in staging the imagery.

Last edited:
Are all your images taken in the mall?

yes =)

Which mall is that? I should pay a visit.

lol why ? you like this mall ? where you from anyways ?

I kinda like that photo where she is holding her hair out, but I think it would be better if we could see her hands

haha thank you, agreed

The impromptu settings are compromising your pictures and dictating some of the compositions. You have these wonderful, young ladies to direct and photograph.. more imagination and planning needed in staging the imagery.

Very true, the bg is constraining my composition however kindly allow me the opportunity to explain why I shoot in malls

In our modern lives, the shopping mall and the cafe plays a rather vital role to our everyday routine and existence.

I personally feel that for this line of articles, capturing the subject in this environment is the second best to actually doing it in the subject's home or workplace. While the environment itself may be less than idealistic for photography ( bg messy, color mismatch no harmony etc ) , perhaps that itself is the metaphoric representation of what life is about ?

In my perception, life has no guarantees, life is never idealistic and in all circumstance we always have to make do and give our very best in whatever we do with whatever meager resources we have at the moment in time.

It is with this same approach that I approach the photographic work for this series, what I really want to be able to learn is to make do with what I have and try my very best to create the very best works in the most unidealistic of enviroments.

It doesn't matter what you intend or what you feel. The photo should stand on its own without a rationale why malls are a good background. The fact is most people don't like the mall as a background and I will admit I think its pretty distracting too. If you want to challenge yourself try and make a model look good against a solid colored wall.

Justification via artspeak.

You shouldn't need any sentences or titles to get your point across.
Like I said, perhaps in another thread, the titles of the image sets are never congruant with the images.

All the threads the OP has posted say one thing to me: Teen gurls :heart: shopping.
None of them match up to what the OP is pretending to put forth as conceptual.

Sorry OP.

That's a nice-looking mall behind her. With those horizontal compositions, we get to see 75% mall, and 25% pretty girl.

I agree, it actually pulls my attention away from the subject. I thought at first the focus was missed but realized the strong background image was creating a optical illusion for me. Very busy.

Justification via artspeak.

You shouldn't need any sentences or titles to get your point across.
Like I said, perhaps in another thread, the titles of the image sets are never congruant with the images.

All the threads the OP has posted say one thing to me: Teen gurls :heart: shopping.
None of them match up to what the OP is pretending to put forth as conceptual.

Sorry OP.

Reminds me of Powerpoint presentations, these use to just make my bosses' mouth water but I knew it was just about blowing smoke........

Most reactions

Back