Achieve this natural skin tone

I think it's really not his lighting technique but his white balance technique.

I dob't that it is only white balance , you see the clearness and bright skin , must be lighting

Look at the larger images: do you see the rectangular light source,with the dividing line down the middle, in the catchlights on the eyeballs???? That looks to me to be from two large windows, with a divider between the windows. There's nothing special about the lighting: the source is large, and soft,and even. The white balance is correct.

thank's for explaining, may be that was only the windows light , but how can I achieve this white balance for skin

thank's for explaining, may be that was only the windows light , but how can I achieve this white balance for skin

In the shortest terms possible, match the white balance setting in the camera to the color temperature of the lighting.

Now for the gritty details:

If you're shooting in a studio settings, you should already have determined the color temperature of your lighting. There's several ways to do it. The cheapest way is by trial and error..... set the white balance setting in the camera to what you think is correct, take some shots, and see what they look like. If you're off, change the setting and repeat the process. Continue until you get what you want.

Another method is to photograph a gray card under the lighting. Load the image into just about any photo software, and use the White Balance Tool (usually an eyedropper) to click on the gray card, and that sets the white balance. Use that setting for the remaining shots.

Yet another method is to use a special filter such as the ExpoDisc.

If money is no object, you get yourself a color balance meter like Minolta's Color Meter III.

Another method is to photograph a gray card under the lighting. Load the image into just about any photo software, and use the White Balance Tool (usually an eyedropper) to click on the gray card, and that sets the white balance. Use that setting for the remaining shots.

Not sure about Nikons but all the canon's I have used let you do this in camera - ie take a photo of a white or grey card then use it to directly set a custom white balance, which is a lot quicker than having to upload it to a computer and do it in software.

Me personally - I'm lazy and leave it on auto 90% of the time, if it comes out wrong I'll just change it in lightroom quickly with the slider (I <3 RAW)

Not sure about Nikons but all the canon's I have used let you do this in camera - ie take a photo of a white or grey card then use it to directly set a custom white balance, which is a lot quicker than having to upload it to a computer and do it in software.

Me personally - I'm lazy and leave it on auto 90% of the time, if it comes out wrong I'll just change it in lightroom quickly with the slider (I <3 RAW)

Same procedure as when using a white-balance filter.

If I can't set the WB, then I run on AutoWB. But given any chance, I'll set it manually. I shoot raw as well, so I can make any adjustments in PP if needed. But in a studio setting, the temperature of the lights should be known.

yes nikon also have custom white balance option.i don't know if I use a gray card will that setting will work on all subject like auto

Most reactions

Back