Adolf Spongebob and the End of Civilization

Many of you know I'm a retired college professor. I've taught for over 30 years. A decade ago we suffered through a crisis at my college when we had to face the fact that a large percentage of our incoming students couldn't read. Some of us wanted to institute an intake reading placement test and remedial action. Others wanted to sweep it under the rug. Hard to believe but the US is becoming increasing illiterate.

The illiteracy is not limited to reading, unfortunately. Too many people can't do basic math, don't know anything about science, have no understanding of even basic economics, and have no curiosity about how the world works. Critical thinking, examination of assumptions and cross-checking facts seem all to be skill areas that people don't put any value in. We call ourselves "democratic", but seem more and more inclined to shut out real debate and deep examination of the facts. If I ask the question of someone "How do you know that?", I often get a hostile rejoinder that "that just common knowledge!". Eh. Forgive me for being a skeptic, but I'm really not into group-think. Yet when masses of people don't know how to verify what they are told, don't examine the mythology behind much of popular culture, then those masses are susceptible to being swayed by various interests. And perhaps that is what we are witnessing - the deliberate dumbing-down of the population to allow easier influence.

Many of you know I'm a retired college professor. I've taught for over 30 years. A decade ago we suffered through a crisis at my college when we had to face the fact that a large percentage of our incoming students couldn't read. Some of us wanted to institute an intake reading placement test and remedial action. Others wanted to sweep it under the rug. Hard to believe but the US is becoming increasing illiterate.

The illiteracy is not limited to reading, unfortunately. Too many people can't do basic math, don't know anything about science, have no understanding of even basic economics, and have no curiosity about how the world works. Critical thinking, examination of assumptions and cross-checking facts seem all to be skill areas that people don't put any value in. We call ourselves "democratic", but seem more and more inclined to shut out real debate and deep examination of the facts. If I ask the question of someone "How do you know that?", I often get a hostile rejoinder that "that just common knowledge!". Eh. Forgive me for being a skeptic, but I'm really not into group-think. Yet when masses of people don't know how to verify what they are told, don't examine the mythology behind much of popular culture, then those masses are susceptible to being swayed by various interests. And perhaps that is what we are witnessing - the deliberate dumbing-down of the population to allow easier influence.

You just being a HATER.. that's all! lol! ;)

Kid's arn't being taught to think. They are being taught to pass a test. Learning how to troubleshoot, to see the problem and try to find a solution. To have a question and to seek the answer isn't being taught. And to many families out there that just don't care wether little Timmy is learning or not.

God there is a word that I wish would not have become popular, Now everyone want to get in arguments just so they can call someone a hater then run around saying how they have haters.

God there is a word that I wish would not have become popular, Now everyone want to get in arguments just so they can call someone a hater then run around saying how they have haters.

That was my POINT! It is a word so often used by the very people who don't read, can't do math, will probably never have a decent job, "the Illiterate", etc.... or am I picking on stereotypes here? It too is a common rejoinder to the "Why do you do that", "how do you know that", "don't you want a real life" questions!

Seems like Ysarex has come down with a case of the... $_D3X7398_Spongebob Blues.jpg
Spongebob Blues !

Demonizing the opposition is a favourite activity of those who seek influence. It stops any attempt to see the underlying principles that are the foundation of a given position, and makes it easy to dismiss - "they" are evil! Calling someone a "hater" doesn't really convey anything except that the person is not sympathetic to a certain viewpoint. It is interesting to watch a conversation where one person epouses some political or social theory, and another challenges that person with "Why?". And to that answer, another "Why?". and so on until veins pop and voices scream. Very few people can justify their positions when pressed to do so to the basic level. Which is unfortunate since it removes a key element of intelligence - examination of the bedrock facts and the structure of beliefs and conventions that is built upon them.

But this is a photography forum, and presumably many people here understand the "visual shorthand" that is present in many of our compositions and images. Yet the art of seeing requires us to move away from the facile labels we put on everything, and go back to the underlying elements of line, curve, texture, shape, colour. Or if we're into shooting people, their unstated story, their emotions, their moments of life. When we can peel back the facade, we start approaching the truth. To me, that is one of the promises of photography, and why I try to get better at it, even though I have a very long way to go. I want to see what's lying under the surface.

OK, I'm old and naive and I'm overreacting, but OMG!

I had to drive out to campus yesterday to run an errand and I did something a bit uncommon for me. I stopped at a McDonalds for a quick snack.

I see what appears to be an unusual interior decorating item right between the order counter and the seating section -- a bookcase. I walked over to check out some of the book titles and OMG! They had taken real books and sawed off the splines and glued them into the case. After a few moments of stunned disbelief I took a photo.

View attachment 15447

So all the way driving back I just kept repeating this thought in my head:

The Nazi's burned books, the Bolshevik's burned books, the Red Guard burned books and they all failed, but the real enemy is turning them into cheezy interior decorations and they've actually got a shot at success. Civilization finally collapses under the laughing face of Adolf Spongebob! I have hundreds and hundreds of books. I revere them and cherish them and I read every day. This brought tears to my eyes!

When I get home my wife tells me it's real common and lots of people decorate with fake bookcases -- I'm so naive!

Joe

P.S. Many of you know I'm a retired college professor. I've taught for over 30 years. A decade ago we suffered through a crisis at my college when we had to face the fact that a large percentage of our incoming students couldn't read. Some of us wanted to institute an intake reading placement test and remedial action. Others wanted to sweep it under the rug. Hard to believe but the US is becoming increasing illiterate.

About a decade ago huh? Isn't that about the same time the initiated the "no child left behind" bs......

People are admitted to college without the ability to read?
Who let them graduate high school?

I thought they would be held back from 3rd grade or something......

Demonizing the opposition is a favourite activity of those who seek influence. It stops any attempt to see the underlying principles that are the foundation of a given position, and makes it easy to dismiss - "they" are evil! Calling someone a "hater" doesn't really convey anything except that the person is not sympathetic to a certain viewpoint. It is interesting to watch a conversation where one person epouses some political or social theory, and another challenges that person with "Why?". And to that answer, another "Why?". and so on until veins pop and voices scream. Very few people can justify their positions when pressed to do so to the basic level. Which is unfortunate since it removes a key element of intelligence - examination of the bedrock facts and the structure of beliefs and conventions that is built upon them.

But this is a photography forum, and presumably many people here understand the "visual shorthand" that is present in many of our compositions and images. Yet the art of seeing requires us to move away from the facile labels we put on everything, and go back to the underlying elements of line, curve, texture, shape, colour. Or if we're into shooting people, their unstated story, their emotions, their moments of life. When we can peel back the facade, we start approaching the truth. To me, that is one of the promises of photography, and why I try to get better at it, even though I have a very long way to go. I want to see what's lying under the surface.

Well put!

I agree bit this wasn't done to ban books because they were evil or wrong. it was done to make a fake bookshelf, two completly diffrent things.

You're absolutely right and as I said I overreacted. No question the post is over-the-top, but the naughty me inside wasn't about to pass on the chance to put a stash and swastika on Spongebob.;)

However, as Jamie and Pic-chick noted, I did have a reaction of hurt and violation. Most of the books were old encyclopedias and out-dated stuff, but there were some genuine classic good books there. It hurt to see a name like Somerset Maugham on the back of a sawed off spline and glued into that case. And there's this nagging note that continues to disturb me. It's the note of disrespect for what I recognize is a revered symbol of culture and civilization. So I understand that some people have no respect for books and can I say that's OK? I'm not sure I can. When I see books treated with such disrespect I've got to ask what the bleep bleep is wrong with whoever did that and I'm left feeling just a little uneasy. It's kinda like people who throw trash out of their cars -- no respect.

Joe

Hard to believe but the US is becoming increasing illiterate.

I believe it. I've been attempting educational outreach for 20 years. Nobody wants to read. Fake books lend all the atmosphere most people will tolerate.

Hard to believe but the US is becoming increasing illiterate.

I believe it. I've been attempting educational outreach for 20 years. Nobody wants to read. Fake books lend all the atmosphere most people will tolerate.

It's disturbing. I read this last year and it scared the p*ss out me: Amazon.com: The Dumbest Generation: How the Digital Age Stupefies Young Americans and Jeopardizes Our Future (Or, Don't Trust Anyone Under 30) (9781585426393): Mark Bauerlein: Books

Joe

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back