Harmony

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I need a bit of help here:

I'm looking to purchase a used 30D and lens from Adorama. I live in Canada. The shipping and everything would come out to 600.00.

One time, though, my mom bought sheet music from the US and ended up paying 75.00 in duties and taxes (!!). We don't want this to happen again.

Can anyone tell me a definitive answer (not a guess) about how this works, and what I might end up paying?

Well, my definitive answer is, "it depends".
What shipping method are you using?
USPS? You *might* get dinged for duty, it all depends on if your package gets picked. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.
Using UPS or FedEx? Then you can almost guarantee that you will get charged brokerage fees and often they are exorbitant.
Using a different carrier? Then it depends on their agreement. Some hide their brokerage fees in with the shipping you pay with the company you shop with.
So you see, I cannot give you a definitive answer. Someone from Canada who has recently ordered from Adorama may be along to tell you if they were charged and if so, how much, but who knows if that is what you will pay.
If you want a better answer than that, contact Adorama and ask them.

Camera stuff has no duty. ( i called the border to check that when i had lenses coming)

If you use UPS ground or Fedex for shipping, they will charge a brokerage fee.. that will prob be anywhere from $10-$80....
UPS global express will not charge this fee..

USPS will also charge no brokerage fees.

But when Canada post delivers it to the door i beleive you will just have to pay the PST on it, and sometimes a $5 whatever fee.
( i belelive ups ect will also make you pay the PST on the camera)

The new fees will be PST, GST and if shipped on USPS/Canada Post there will be an $8 broker fees, it is the least expensive option

It depends on the mood of the person processing it. I'm convinced part of the job description to deal with border issues is "dick-head". If they can find any way to suck more tax money out of you, they will.

Dealing with it over the phone only makes it more irritating.

Last edited:
Camera stuff has no duty. ( i called the border to check that when i had lenses coming)

If you use UPS ground or Fedex for shipping, they will charge a brokerage fee.. that will prob be anywhere from $10-$80....
UPS global express will not charge this fee..

USPS will also charge no brokerage fees.

But when Canada post delivers it to the door i beleive you will just have to pay the PST on it, and sometimes a $5 whatever fee.
( i belelive ups ect will also make you pay the PST on the camera)
This. However, keep in mind that there's no duty for cameras and lenses as long as they are coming from the US. From other countries it could be a whole different story. Check with Canada Customs.

However, keep in mind that there's no duty for cameras and lenses as long as they are coming from the US.
Not necessarily. I think it depends on where it was manufactured, and also how much pee was in the border patrol's corn flakes that morning.

Not necessarily. I think it depends on where it was manufactured, and also how much pee was in the border patrol's corn flakes that morning.
I think you're wrong. I made a call to Canada Customs a few months ago and the above info is what I got. Moreover, I purchased a lens made in Japan from B&H and had to pay zero duties. Some more info here.

Would it still be cheaper even with the dollar right now?
I would stress if was coming UPS or anything but USPS.. even then it could get caught up in customs.. UPS does have brokerage fees unless Adorama already takes care of that on their end..
Maybe you should ask them, just because one person may have not got dinged doesn't mean you wont..
Have you looked at Henry's? They have used stuff too, Canadian dollar, super fast worry free shipping, wouldnt' be a complete nightmare to take it back... I would rather pay more and go with Henry's personally...
Future Shop sometimes have amazing deals too,, don't know if they carry the 30d..
Anyway if you want Adorama and it's worth it to you go for it.. just some suggestions

UPS = brokerage fee
UPS Expedited = no brokerage fee
USPS = no brokerage fee

All of the above will charge taxes at delivery. DO NOT count on your package being the one to slip through.

In the last year I've received over a dozen shipments from the States and three came through without any charge. As I understand it, they don't have the time and manpower to process every package that crosses the border.

With the Canadian/US dollar exchange the way it is right now plus shipping, etc. Vistek, Henry's, etc. is at par with B & H.

Cheers, Don

Wow! Thanks for the LOADS of information, guys! I will check out the links, Henrys, and all the other stuff presented.

This site provides good information about buying from the States: http://www.photoprice.ca/article/tax-duty-brokerage-demystified

The site also provides prices for products taking shipping, duty, and tax into account. It's been very accurate in my experience. It doesn't include used products, but if you decide to buy new it looks like McBain's in Alberta is your best bet: http://www.photoprice.ca/product/00162
Yep, that's the site I hyperlinked to above. I never buy anything without checking it first. It should be a must-use for every Canadian :)

Yep, that's the site I hyperlinked to above. I never buy anything without checking it first. It should be a must-use for every Canadian :)

Oops, I'm busted for not clicking the posted links. Guess I'm out of practice after a few weeks of not posting. :blushing:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back