Advertising

RockstarPhotography

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I started my business in a small town. Moved to a larger town in the same state but was still relatively small. All I needed to get my word out there was word of mouth. There also wasn't a flood of photographers available. Now that I've moved to a major city I need to start looking into advertising. Where are some good places to advertise at? I really don't want to post an ad on craigslist. Even if I did, I'm sure it wouldn't do any good with all the "photographers" posting there 50 dollar free cd ads on it. I'm looking for higher end cliental. I have gotten a few clients (an mma training gym and a dude ranch). But the pay isn't great as I'm mostly trying to get my word out and get the perks that come with these shoots (free gym membership and a free weekend at the ranch). Up until now i've run a rather small outfit, but i'm getting a loan from the bank to really invest in my equipment. Soooo. Where to advertise? How to get the word out in a major city? I hate to do a ton of pro-bono work in hopes of getting some word of mouth, but if thats what I have to do. Stupid Economy.

I did one "pro-bono" job only and only because a friend was the designer/art director on the project which was a national campaign for a major non-profit and it was going to be a beautiful piece for my port. No reason to work for free unless it gives you something major.

B2B is best. I did almost a year of postcard advertisement before I opened my first studio with the last one being an invite to an open studio celebration. The campaign was aimed at carefully selected companies, addressed to a specific person (none of that To Whom This May Concern BS) because I wasn't going to do BS work. In the process I picked up the printer who printed my postcards as a client :)

A few months after I launched the studio I was lucky to find a guy who wanted to start as a rep who had great contacts and we made a deal that worked out great.

You need to research companies in your area, keep your ears and eyes open and not be afraid to ask for a lot of money. But don't forget you need to be able to deliver the goods. Haven't seen your stuff that I remember.

Advertising needs to be consistent and of a quality to match or best the companies you are striving to get as clients. You want to make money, forget CL. And since you are not a designer, get yourself one for your business card and your advertisement campaign. I would never call you if I saw the BC you showed here recently.

Last but not least, I used a book called "Guerrilla Marketing" by Jay Conrad Levinson as my marketing bible. Even though a lot of the stuff is still valid today, it dates to the time before the internet and it might be worth checking out a newer book of his.

Official Site of Guerrilla Marketing

Good luck.

Advertising needs to be consistent and of a quality to match or best the companies you are striving to get as clients. You want to make money, forget CL. And since you are not a designer, get yourself one for your business card and your advertisement campaign.

^^^^^
SO true!

And... don't go to the bank. Buy as you need and you'll be much happier. It's hard enough starting out without another monthly payment hanging over your head.

Good luck!

-Pete

thanks guys. I'm no designer, as you can see from my business card design i tried! As far as the bank, its really not going to be another payment, we're almost done paying off the car so i'll be getting rid of one payment and picking up another.

as far as the pro-bono work i'm doing now. With the mma club, i'm getting a free membership to the gym (around 150 a month). and the dude ranch i'm just treating as a vacation that I don't have to spend 2400 bucks on. lol

With the mma club, i'm getting a free membership to the gym (around 150 a month). and the dude ranch i'm just treating as a vacation that I don't have to spend 2400 bucks on. lol

Free vacations and gym memberships are fine but great shots for your port are better.

Plus, if you work it right a vacation can become a business trip and be tax deductible :lol:

Might be harder to explain the gym membership as a deduction but you could always say that your gear is heavy and you need to stay in shape... maybe.

I've never looked at your work, but would you say that the quality of work you're producing is on-par with what upper-end clientel are looking for?

As far as getting non-paying assignments, that isn't much of a surprise to me considering your new to the area. Unfortunately until you've got your refferal engine running, and people are eager to refer you, it's going to be tough to get started. Is there any chance that you can shoot under someone else while you're building up your business?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back