Advice for Tough Mudder Assignment

C4talyst

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been asked to photograph a friend's team at an upcoming Tough Mudder event. The Tough Mudder is a 12 mile long, military-style obstacle course. I expect his team to take 5-6 hours to complete the course, during which time I will be hiking a predetermined route to photograph them at various obstacles.

I've owned a DSLR for two years, and mostly take photos of family and landscapes. I've developed a much bigger interest in photography than I thought I would when purchasing the DSLR, and am usually shooting in A or M mode these days.

That said, I've never done any sports photography, and I really want to get some good shots of my friends. I will have my gripped D3100, a rented Nikkor 70-200 F/2.8, and a new monopod for this event. I'm looking for any advice on settings or techniques. I've never used a lens this big or a monopod.

Also, should I buy a head for the monopod? I appreciate any feedback.

Personally I would skip the monopod... will just slow you down. If you do decide to use it, you don't really need a head, just adds more weight! Carry plenty of water.. and sling your DSLR with a good strap like an Black Rapid RS7... don't carry it around your neck, you will hate it.

For tough mudder, get down low. Spend a lot of time on your belly and you'll get some fantastic shots. Make sure to protect your kit with some plastic bags, and a filter.

Personally I would skip the monopod... will just slow you down. If you do decide to use it, you don't really need a head, just adds more weight! Carry plenty of water.. and sling your DSLR with a good strap like an Black Rapid RS7... don't carry it around your neck, you will hate it.

Appreciate the advice. For the monopod, I was wondering if my arms may get tired after a few hours. Setting fatigue concerns aside, do you not think the monopod will allow for better image quality? I'm looking at the sling you mentioned now. I just bought an Upstrap earlier this week. I have a feeling straps/slings are one of those things I may acquire several of before settling on favorites.

For tough mudder, get down low. Spend a lot of time on your belly and you'll get some fantastic shots. Make sure to protect your kit with some plastic bags, and a filter.

Thanks! I will definitely keep that in mind; will do some research on wrapping up my gear too. Have never had that concern before.

Appreciate the advice. For the monopod, I was wondering if my arms may get tired after a few hours. Setting fatigue concerns aside, do you not think the monopod will allow for better image quality? I'm looking at the sling you mentioned now. I just bought an Upstrap earlier this week. I have a feeling straps/slings are one of those things I may acquire several of before settling on favorites.

Thanks! I will definitely keep that in mind; will do some research on wrapping up my gear too. Have never had that concern before.

I have hiked twelve plus miles... with a gripped D800, and the 70-200 2.8 on it... The RS7 does the job nicely. The Upstrap is not the same type of design, and not pro gear, but that is your call. (it is your neck that will be sore... not mine!) ;)

On the monopod... it takes time to deploy it and set it up... IMO, it will only be in the way, especially if you have never used one before.

Walk the course ahead of time, and progressing at [approximately] the rate you anticipate your subjects to and take note of the light, reflections, shadow, etc. What might be an awesome shot in the morning will be total crap in late afternoon because of the angle of the sun. I would also consider a CPOL to knock down reflection on water/mud.

I also advise skipping the monopod. You most likely are going to be using shutter speeds fast enough you won't get any advantage from the monopod, so it will just be extra weight you are carrying with you. Be ready to make quick adjustments to your exposures, with fast moving action like this you may have light behind the subjects on one shot and after the next corner they will be in full sun. Know how to quickly adjust your exposure compensation or manual exposures without looking away from the viewfinder. Keep an eye to clean backgrounds that will isolate your subjects, only include backgrounds if they help set the stage for the particular obstacle.

I've done tough mudder with my DSLR. If you have one, mount a GoPro on the DSLR for video so you'll have the best of both worlds.
No on the monopod, fast shutter speed will make its useless and it will get in the way of low camera angles. All hi need is a shoulder strap.
Put your dslr in continuous mode for them rapid shots, if your buffer can't handle it, put in jpeg mode. Don't forget to turn off any auto settings that will slow the camera down like lens distortion or chromatic adjustments, these can be fixed in Lightroom.
On a bright sunny day I find evaluative meter will do a better job then spot meter. Again you can adjust exposure in Lightroom.
Use center focus point, don't let the camera guess focus points.
If you find yourself waiting for your team to arrive and don't have a gopro, put the camera in video mode and record random people, you'll probably video a lot of people failing on the obstacles, great to upload to YouTube.

When is the event? They usually give out a map of the event w/ the obstacles about 2 weeks before. I would youtube the different obstacles that are going to be at your mudder and learn what they're about. "Like" Tough Mudder on FB and see the shots that are gotten by the Pros!! =) Goof luck!! http://toughmudder.com/obstacles/
Did my first TM this year!! It was incredible.

Which one are you doing? I ran Maysville, KY last year and am considering going back in a few weeks to shoot this years.

Ditto what everyone else said. Absolutely not on the monopod; like Tony said you'll be using shutter speeds fast enough that the monopod will offer no benefit, it will only get in the way. I love the GoPro idea, if I do end up shooting Maysville I'll bring mine.

Also don't forget to bring plenty of food and drink for yourself.

I have hiked twelve plus miles... with a gripped D800, and the 70-200 2.8 on it... The RS7 does the job nicely. The Upstrap is not the same type of design, and not pro gear, but that is your call. (it is your neck that will be sore... not mine!)
On the monopod... it takes time to deploy it and set it up... IMO, it will only be in the way, especially if you have never used one before.
I looked at the strap you mentioned and did a little research. I had never heard of them but see now that they're very popular. I can also see why it's probably a lot more comfortable than this Upstrap. Wishing I had not made that purchase now; will pick up a Black Rapid before the event.

Walk the course ahead of time, and progressing at [approximately] the rate you anticipate your subjects to and take note of the light, reflections, shadow, etc. What might be an awesome shot in the morning will be total crap in late afternoon because of the angle of the sun. I would also consider a CPOL to knock down reflection on water/mud.
Not sure I'll have that chance, but will remember that for future events. I'm renting the lens; will have to see if they can rent/lend me a filter.

I also advise skipping the monopod. You most likely are going to be using shutter speeds fast enough you won't get any advantage from the monopod, so it will just be extra weight you are carrying with you. Be ready to make quick adjustments to your exposures, with fast moving action like this you may have light behind the subjects on one shot and after the next corner they will be in full sun. Know how to quickly adjust your exposure compensation or manual exposures without looking away from the viewfinder. Keep an eye to clean backgrounds that will isolate your subjects, only include backgrounds if they help set the stage for the particular obstacle.
Awesome advice...thanks!

I've done tough mudder with my DSLR. If you have one, mount a GoPro on the DSLR for video so you'll have the best of both worlds.
No on the monopod, fast shutter speed will make its useless and it will get in the way of low camera angles. All hi need is a shoulder strap.
Put your dslr in continuous mode for them rapid shots, if your buffer can't handle it, put in jpeg mode. Don't forget to turn off any auto settings that will slow the camera down like lens distortion or chromatic adjustments, these can be fixed in Lightroom.
On a bright sunny day I find evaluative meter will do a better job then spot meter. Again you can adjust exposure in Lightroom.
Use center focus point, don't let the camera guess focus points.
If you find yourself waiting for your team to arrive and don't have a gopro, put the camera in video mode and record random people, you'll probably video a lot of people failing on the obstacles, great to upload to YouTube.
Really great advice, thank you. I'm going to have to bookmark this thread on my phone and review it again the day of the event. :)

When is the event? They usually give out a map of the event w/ the obstacles about 2 weeks before. I would youtube the different obstacles that are going to be at your mudder and learn what they're about. "Like" Tough Mudder on FB and see the shots that are gotten by the Pros!! =) Goof luck!! Tough Mudder's Most Badass Obstacles | Tough Mudder
Did my first TM this year!! It was incredible.
Thanks, I will definitely check out and galleries on their site or Facebook page; great advice!

Which one are you doing? I ran Maysville, KY last year and am considering going back in a few weeks to shoot this years.
Ditto what everyone else said. Absolutely not on the monopod; like Tony said you'll be using shutter speeds fast enough that the monopod will offer no benefit, it will only get in the way. I love the GoPro idea, if I do end up shooting Maysville I'll bring mine.
Also don't forget to bring plenty of food and drink for yourself.
This is in West Virginia on October 19. I'm glad I asked now as the consensus seems to be NO on the monopod; it's staying home.

Hey folks, not sure if I should have created a new thread for this question, but here goes. I'd like to carry only two lenses for this event. I picked up my 70-200 F/2.8 rental today (whoa!) and my choices for the other two lenses are:

Nikkor 35mm F/1.8
Nikkor 18-55mm (DX Kit Lens)

Umm...should I pack the wider kit lens? Should be sunny at times and mostly partly cloudy on Saturday for this event.

Never shot this kind of event before but I have shot some sports and wildlife.

My go to settings for this kind of sports/action is manual mode shutter speed 250/sec (possibly more), wide open apeture, auto ISO and partial metering mode with a single af point, AI servo and high speed continuous mode, shooting Jpegs and all in camera processing off.

If it were me I'd just take a telephoto.

Be prepared for you and your gear to get muddy!! The people running the race don't care about your equipment...Hehe They'll be splashing around and having a good old time. You might even have a crazy, muddy person come up and hug you!! :) Good luck!! Post pictures!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back