Advice needed

Des H

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.deshodginsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Tonight i ventured outside for my first night time shoot. What a disaster.

I set up my tripod fixed my camera adjusted the settings, and took the shots. The three best pics ( of over sixty i took) i have posted here for your comments/thoughts.

My question is "what am i doing wrong"

I have seen night shots that are crisp and clear unlike mine.
The equipment i used was a canon 400d/canon zoom lens 70mm-300mm usm/shutter release cable and tripod. I auto focused on the bridge first before switching to TV mode and worked my way through the times 30" 15" 10" etc. there was also very little wind.

Can any of you guy's give me some advice on improving this mine field that is night photography. Thanks in advance for any help you maybe able to offer.
nightphoto025.jpg

nightphoto024.jpg

nightphoto015.jpg

At first I have to say that I like your shots very much. To get sharper images you might consider using your timer or a remote control and maybe a faster lens. You could also try to get closer to the bridge using a more wide angle lens.

These aren't terribly soft, especially for night photos. Do try a remote or timer as mentioned above, which might remove a little vibration. Also, when exactly did you autofocus on the bridge? If you had to move the camera much (as in, you focused before putting it on the tripod), that could account for slightly off focus.

Thanks dc for letting me know what you think. I auto focused on the bridge when the camera was on the tripod. I really thought i was on a winner for this shoot but alas my dreams are shattered. :lol:

Those 3 are not bad. Night is tough stuff. A few night tips are.

1. Flag , Flag , Flag ~ With the long exposure light pollution from the non image zone is a real problem. Look around at every light visaible from your lens perspective and block it with a flag. I look around and lets say there is a street light off to far camera right, now hold your hand between lens and light wile looking thru viewfinder, Walla you can see a marked differance even in the finder. The flare is there then its gone. Another trick is a big flag card with rectangular hole same ratio as image, place it just exactly right were you see thru hole just barely skimmimg edges to block all non imaging light.

2. Fast glass of pro quality makes a BIG differance.

3. On real long exposures ` Fooooey on the release as it makes no differance on final image.

4. A rock solid tripod is your best freind

5. If ya want starbursts from the lights stop down to about F16

6. I like to use low ISO for less noise.

7. Shoot .raw as color temps are wicked at night.

8. Time of day/night makes a marked differance in cityscapes. As the lights come on and its not yet real dark the mix of city lights and ambiant is at its best. A small window of time to get best results. Dawn and Dusk

Thanks DeadEye for your very informative reply. There was quite a lot of street lighting all around me when I took the pics. I will use your tips on my next trip out. But im not quite so sure of what you meant by
Another trick is a big flag card with rectangular hole same ratio as image, place it just exactly right were you see thru hole just barely skimmimg edges to block all non imaging light.

Would you be able to post, e-mail, or point me in the direction of a picture of a big flag card with the holes in just so as i know what you mean.

And also thanks to you rufus5150 the mirror lock-up may help me out.

Most reactions

Back