advice on buying DSLR

lil dvl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hey everyone, new to the site and fairly new to photography.
ive been using digital cameras for a couple years, but would like to get a little bit more professional, so would like to get my first DSLR.

im looking at the canon 350D. I want it for landscapes, and action sports, and well just general purpose, kodak moments lol.

please share your thoughts and any advice on anything including other cameras in or around the same price as the 350D.

cheers for your help!

First, I would examine whether you will actually need a DSLR. You could go with one of the semi-pro non-DSLR cameras with fine results. Do you really need to be able to change lenses?

Second, decide which brand. Canon and Nikon would probably offer the most choices in DSLR's.

The Canon 350D is an excellent camera. The Nikon D50 and D70 are excellent cameras. You can find many Canon 20D's available right now at great prices-it is a fine camera.
Many choices--so little money!

The main choice you will be faced with is between the 350d and the Nikon D50........ check out dpreview.com for all the info and performance comparisons.... you will find that they are very evenly matched..... i went for the Nikon.... because i preferd the build.... but if you want a smaller camera, go for the 350d...... they are both excellent for the money...... but then come the lenses ;)

lil dvl said:
hey everyone, new to the site and fairly new to photography.
ive been using digital cameras for a couple years, but would like to get a little bit more professional, so would like to get my first DSLR.

im looking at the canon 350D. I want it for landscapes, and action sports, and well just general purpose, kodak moments lol.

please share your thoughts and any advice on anything including other cameras in or around the same price as the 350D.

cheers for your help!

For many types of 'action-sports' (track & field, motorsport etc) you will want to be able to shoot at higher ISO's (fast shutterspeeds) and for nice results you'll want a quality sensor and fairly good optics.

You may do best with a DSLR and a couple of kit lenses giving you something like 18-55/70 & 70-300mm scope. Add to that a couple of filters (UV, circ polariser), plus a monopod. Maybe buy a DSLR body with an 18-55 new and source the other bits secondhand.

the 350d and nikon's d50 and d70s are very good cameras, but IMO you should check out a canon 20d. it has a bigger, stronger build than the 350d and has a few extra features (can go to ISO 3200, can shoot at 5 fps, can shoot at slightly faster shutter speeds). The main reason that i'm suggesting it is because it can be bought for very low prices nowadays, especially lightly used ones. I've seen used ones go for $800-$900 fairly often, and places like B&Hphotovideo.com have it for like $999. At those prices, it's a steal IMO. but nonetheless, all the aformentioned cameras are good and you will be quite pleased with them i'm sure.

Jakpro said:
First, I would examine whether you will actually need a DSLR. You could go with one of the semi-pro non-DSLR cameras with fine results. Do you really need to be able to change lenses?

thats a good question! i just travelled over seas for a year with a fuji s5500 (10x zoom for long distant shots) and a ricoh capilo GX (with wide angle for wider shots and macro), both produced many amazing shots..

for that purpose it was great, but if i wanted to get more proffesional wouldnt i be better off to get a dslr, with that i would have a lot more choice would i not?

jakpro said:
Many choices--so little money!

cheers so far for all your help, anymore would be appreciated!

can anyone tell me the difference between Full AU Version EOS 350D. and a US Rebel XT.

lookin at buying a camera on ebay, good/bad idea? ?

You can do well on Ebay. Research the seller-check their feedback, how long have they been doing Ebay and what do they sell. Don't get emotional-set your price and don't go any higher-check in-line retailer prices.

You are talking about a high ticket purchase, so use a credit card so that you have protection if the seller does not satisfy you.

Read reviews on the cameras:
http://www.dcresource.com/
http://www.dpreview.com/
http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Decide which one fits your needs and go for it! Keep in mind that you will have to buy lenses even if you get the kit lense. I would buy the camera body and then choose my lenses, but you have to decide.

In my opinion, I would buy a Nikon or Canon since they are the most prolific.

lil dvl said:
can anyone tell me the difference between Full AU Version EOS 350D. and a US Rebel XT.

lookin at buying a camera on ebay, good/bad idea? ?

I've never heard of the 'Full AU Version', but the EOS 350d (usually europe, australia and some others) and the rebel XT (US) are the same camera.

ebay is actually an ok place to buy stuff from, as long as you only buy from respectable sellers.

Most reactions

Back