advice on Canon 17-40L ?

Taylor510ce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am thinking of upgrading to L glass. I currently have a Tokina 16-50 f/2.8 and would like to replace it with this L series lens. Anyone have experience with it? I rarely shoot wide open on the Tokina so the f/4 should be fine and I mostly shoot in good lighting. Is the lens quality worth the upgrade? I have heard mixed reviews. Thanks.

It is a very sharp lens. I love mine! I use it with a 50D and it seems to work great. Its not super wide on a crop body, I think it compares to a 24mm on FF. Its very well built and alot heavier than the kit lens , also it comes with a lens hood but I dont think it really helps all that much.

I use this lens more than any other. It is great if you are into landscape photography. What is your intended subject for the lens?

It would be mostly used for landscape and street/travel photography. I know it wont be super wide, but the Tokina 16-50 works great for me on the wide end so I figure this would also. I also pan on getting a 70-200 F/2.8 IS...So I could always use that at the short endfor portraits and things where I miss the shallow DOF.

Hey I have some advice on the 17-40L

Here it is:

2lnxs1t.jpg

Hope this helps!

It's an ok lens on a crop sensor camera and a great lens on a full frame camera. For not much more, you may be able to find an EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 (IS maybe? Not sure.)

I don't use mine much but I certainly wouldn't get rid of it. The lens is great when I need it. As far as someone said about the lens hood, it's an UWA lens, if the hood were any larger you'd get vignetting around the edges of the images at 17mm on a FF camera.

I wouldnt want an ef-s the Tokina is a great lens andI think IS in this focal range is a joke ( especially on an f/2.8 ), I am just wanting to replace it with a higher quality lens that will have better color contrast and sharpness, that can be use on a full frame if I want. I have a chance to get one of these used so I may go for it and sell the Tokina.

thanks for this im also looking at this lens

I thought about that lens but still favor the Tamron 17-50/2.8 Which seems sharper to me. Still its is a very nice lens and is well built plus it can be used on FF which my Tamron cant do. I cringe thinking I may have to replace my Tamron as I am tossing up a FF body.

Haha, exactly. This needs to be my last purchase whether I change bodies or not. I just bought a 70-200L 2.8 IS so that range is covered. I am keeping my 50mm f/1.4 too just incase I need a low light lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back