bineetd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello members,
Good morning.

I was wondering I I can get some help please with using my D3400 Nikon to shoot without lens and change apperture.

I am a new member and new to photography. I just bought Nikon D3400 DSLR.

I am planning to attach it to the telescope for photographing planets and other objects in Sky.

I have got a T ring compatible with Nikon D3400 to attach it to my Camera (after removing the lens) the T ring fits instead of lens with a telescope adaptor.

Watching Youtube videos, I have managed to change the ISO but without the lens (in the manual mode), I cannot change the aperture. If I fit the lens, I can change the apperture through the manual mode.

I was wondering if I am going wrong somewhere or it is not possible to change the apperture without lens in Nikon D3400 DSLR.

Thanking you in advance for your advice.

B

Hi there,
the aperture is built into the lens, and every lens has a different aperture (that´s why they have different f-numbers too). Since the lens isn´t on your camera body, but the T-adapter is instead, and you cannot change anything on the t-adapter, because it is merely a plain tube, all is fine. You have to set your image brightness with shutter speed and ISO only.
Good luck - it´s fun ;)

Basically, the telescope is your lens, and it's a fixed aperture.

You have been given correct advice. My guess is the telescope is somewhere around f/11to f/13 in effective aperture. As was mentioned above,you have two ways to adjust image brightness : shutter time , And ISO level.

The telescope does not offer any aperture feedback through the Nikon CPU... and because of the lack of contacts, you must use Manual exposure mode on your camera.

Hi there,
the aperture is built into the lens, and every lens has a different aperture (that´s why they have different f-numbers too). Since the lens isn´t on your camera body, but the T-adapter is instead, and you cannot change anything on the t-adapter, because it is merely a plain tube, all is fine. You have to set your image brightness with shutter speed and ISO only.
Good luck - it´s fun ;)

Thank you that is very helpful. Atleast I know now

You have been given correct advice. My guess is the telescope is somewhere around f/11to f/13 in effective aperture. As was mentioned above,you have two ways to adjust image brightness : shutter time , And ISO level.

The telescope does not offer any aperture feedback through the Nikon CPU... and because of the lack of contacts, you must use Manual exposure mode on your camera.

Hi Derrel,
Thank you. Yes that is right. I will try my luck in doing some astro photography (weather permitting in england) we had 1 week of sunshine. I suppose that's the summer for this year.

Most reactions

Back