wfooshee
No longer a newbie, moving up!
- Joined
- Oct 28, 2014
- Messages
- 944
- Reaction score
- 317
- Can others edit my Photos
- Photos OK to edit
My start was with a manual folding rangefinder and a handheld light meter. My dad passed them to me, explained how shutter speed and aperture were related, showed me how to set film speed on the meter, and told me to never use anything other than Kodachrome! 
My next camera was a Canon AE-1 which introduced me to auto-exposure. It was shutter-priority, and I've favored shutter-priority ever since. That works because I generally shoot fast subjects, auto races, air shows and the like. I despise auto-ISO, but can't really tell you why; it seems like that takes a control parameter away from you. I don't think I've ever shot a single frame in aperture priority, in 50+ years of shooting; maybe just to make sure the camera worked.
I entered the AF world with a Nikon n8008. I went Nikon because going either Nikon or Canon I needed new lenses, but I liked the fact that Nikon didn't obsolete their previous lenses with the AF cameras, and I have a respectable number of legacy manual-focus lenses I use regularly.
I entered the digital world, staying with Nikon, through 4 or 5 cameras now, upgrading as I hit some kind of limit, like number of focus points, focus speed, frames per second, and whatnot.
My shooting style is primarily shutter priority, fixed ISO, most likely because that's how I started with the AE-1: shutter priority, and you film selection is your ISO.

My next camera was a Canon AE-1 which introduced me to auto-exposure. It was shutter-priority, and I've favored shutter-priority ever since. That works because I generally shoot fast subjects, auto races, air shows and the like. I despise auto-ISO, but can't really tell you why; it seems like that takes a control parameter away from you. I don't think I've ever shot a single frame in aperture priority, in 50+ years of shooting; maybe just to make sure the camera worked.
I entered the AF world with a Nikon n8008. I went Nikon because going either Nikon or Canon I needed new lenses, but I liked the fact that Nikon didn't obsolete their previous lenses with the AF cameras, and I have a respectable number of legacy manual-focus lenses I use regularly.
I entered the digital world, staying with Nikon, through 4 or 5 cameras now, upgrading as I hit some kind of limit, like number of focus points, focus speed, frames per second, and whatnot.
My shooting style is primarily shutter priority, fixed ISO, most likely because that's how I started with the AE-1: shutter priority, and you film selection is your ISO.
