Advice on new Camera for agility impaired beginner

MagsSeaside

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Good afternoon (UK) for years I have happily managed with a Canon Ixus 255 HS. Good size and weight but getting past its best and so time to rethink. I always have problems with it taking pics in bright light as all you see are reflections and its 10x zoom has always lacked clarity so hardly worth using, but its old as compacts go.

I cannot manage a heavy camera due to arthritis and as Im getting on too many complications can confuse me - I have always just used Automatic but I have picked up bits and pieces from by husband a dedicated Canon DLSR user.

Hence he would always point me at a Canon but I dont care I want to traet myself to a good quality compact camera with a tilt view to get around the reflection issue hopefully, a decent zoom, easy to use now and learn on as time passes. Jessops said the new Panasonic Lumix DC- TZ200 would keep me going for years but is this too much for a weekend and holiday photographer though I do like photos with a difference but it needs to be something I can just have handy in my handback and use quickly when I push my walking stick aside - best to be honest, Ive got a good eye but a deteriorating body lol.

I can push myself just to the price of the TZ200 but will a cheaper be as good, maybe better for my needs? I would appreciate advice from someone other than a seller who can appreciate weight/hand feel etc is important for someone with disabilities.

Thank you very much.

Hello and welcome, the TZ70 and 80 are very good cameras and a lot less money than the TZ200.

Thank you - I really have it in my head I would like one with a moveable screen having seen how handy that could be or am I just being picky, certainly handy when you dont want to be too obvious!

Thank you - I really have it in my head I would like one with a moveable screen having seen how handy that could be or am I just being picky, certainly handy when you dont want to be too obvious!
Greetings, Mags!

My recommendation is for a smaller, lighter camera rather than a heavy DSLR with a tilting screen. Just get a good camera, one with adjustable settings and good lenses that you can use comfortably. There are many very good cameras available, so think of the quest as more of a "project" that may take months of research.

After you get your camera, learn the finer points of photography, either with online courses or a local friend. I'm guessing that your husband has never explained how to avoid lens flare when shooting against the light, otherwise you would have already known how.

Let's begin with a stated budget, and where you are willing to shop. We all have our favorites, and will be happy to point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

Thanks Designer, I would not even consider a DLSR far too heavy for me and would not fit in my handbag, hence not wanting a bridge camera with extra lenses. I have been looking for a very long time but my disposition does not like change so can take me ages to jump in and a special holiday in September is my motivation. Now looking at at those within the Travel Zoom category as that is the size and weight Im going to be happiest at middle range indicates a Panasonic Lumix DC-TZ93 Super Zoom Digital which sells at approx £300 may be a good one to consider ( probably at least £50 cheaper in the US).

Hmm, the two compact cameras I've got good experience with is an old Sony Cybershot and a Panasonic Lumix that my sister got after me spending many hours researching compacts. Both were very good but I've occasionally used other compacts from big brands (for work) which were terrible. I'd be googling quite a lot to find an answer.

Im my opinion there's a few things to look for, cameras that offer enthusiast settings (shutter priority, aperture priortity, manual modes instead of just portrait, sports or whatever) offer you more control so look for one with the former functions. The ability to shoot in raw format is another worthwhile feature. Another thing to look at is reviews that include sample images and compare quailty at 100% crops, that should give you an idea of the best quality you can afford. Compare the dynamic range (for photos in bright sunny days) and look at noise levels at high ISOs (for night photos and low light). A large sensor is generally better (like an aps-c or 1" would be good but m4/3 would be ok) and would be a good bonus but I'd compare the parameters I've mentioned before but I'd take a camera with better glass and processing alogarithims over simply a larger sensor.

Personally I'd avoid Canon or Nikon for compacts, from the ones I've tried they just don't seem to be nearly as good as the offerings from Sony or Panasonic.

Thanks Designer, I would not even consider a DLSR far too heavy for me and would not fit in my handbag, hence not wanting a bridge camera with extra lenses. I have been looking for a very long time but my disposition does not like change so can take me ages to jump in and a special holiday in September is my motivation. Now looking at at those within the Travel Zoom category as that is the size and weight Im going to be happiest at middle range indicates a Panasonic Lumix DC-TZ93 Super Zoom Digital which sells at approx £300 may be a good one to consider ( probably at least £50 cheaper in the US).
Excellent choice! I see now that this camera does have the "flippable" rear touch screen. Not changing lenses will be a blessing.

(link)

https://www.brentcross.co.uk/shopon...n-silver-with-case-and-additional-battery-kit

Hi Mags and welcome. I love compact cameras and own and regularly use several. Have you considered a Nikon Coolpix camera? I have one which was new back in 2010 and it still punches way above its weight. There would probably be a nice option covering your needs in the current models.

Do some research and pick the camera that fits your style. Don't you think it's subjective ? You can check all that info here on DPR or get it elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
I am on south coast uk, have you thought about looking at MBP on line they sale both new and used kit.
Maybe worth a look even if it just to see what is out there and how much.
Can’t advise on which camera as I amDSLR user.
However if you want ideas on photography and disability then please feel free to contact me via the private msg
It will save cluttering up the thread
Katomi

Most reactions

New Topics

Back