Advice on Shooting a White Plant at Night?

~Stella~

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ETA - White blooms, I should say.

Specifically, one of these: Night Blooming Cereus - Specialty Gardens

It only blooms at night and only once a year, but they are amazing when they do bloom. My parents have a huge one on their porch that produces dozens of blooms and mom takes terrible photos of it each year. I was thinking we could do a little better this time.

Tips?

Off camera flash or flashes. It will take a couple of test shots to dial in the intensity. I always shoot mine manually for power outputs, that way I get what I want. Or if you cant do off camera then mount it on the camera and, maybe try a diffuser over the flash head or, a white coffee filter will work. What camera are you using by the way. Also you will need a tripod of something to stablize the camera.

Tripod, check. Off camera flash, not so much. Hmm.....

I assume that once it blooms, it stays that way for a while?

You could do a long exposure.

Off camera flash with paper in front to diffuse light.
You want subtle even illumination.

Build one of those DIY light tents. Leave the bottom open (two sides of the box removed - one to shoot through, one on the bottom).

Place that over the flower. I don't know how big it will need to be - make sure to make it big enough so that you can get a good composition without the box showing.

Set up some lights around it. You could use house lamps if you had to.

I assume that once it blooms, it stays that way for a while?

You could do a long exposure.

Several hours. I think theirs is normally about midnight to....sometime in the wee hours? Very inconvenient plant. I have a terrible photo of it...let me go look for it to give you an idea what I'm working with...

OK, terrible photo as promised:

DSC06481_edited-1.jpg

I didn't take it and it's obviously OOF and such, so I don't need to hear about that. I do have permission to do anything I want with it. The flowers are, from what I can tell, about 8" across. There are many more than these few blooms.

The flowers are, from what I can tell, about 8" across. There are many more than these few blooms.

Hmm... Bigger than I thought. The home-made light tent might not work as well as I thought. (It still could, it would just have to be much bigger than I envisioned.)

OK, worst case scenario - tripod and long exposure, no additional lights.

Little better - Same thing, but add in a few lights.

Better than that - build a light tent big enough to fit over it.

Optimal - buy/rent a flash or two.

That's all I can think of. Long exposures should work fine, as long as it's not windy.
If you can throw a little extra light on it, it will bring your exposure times down a lot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back