Advice on shooting rock concert

amnd2323

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'll be backstage at a rock concert this weekend and want to take some good shots. I have a Nikon d40. I have a 50mm/f1.8 lens....would this work for taking these types of photos since it will be pretty dark? The other lenses i have only go to about f4 and I'm afraid I'd have to increase the ISO too much to get a decent shutter speed.

Also...any other advice on other settings to consider? ISO, WB, meter mode, etc??

Thanks!

Mandy

Spot meter off the subject. Shoot in RAW and adjust the WB later. You may have to use manual focus. Use the lowest ISO possible while keeping the shutter 1/50 or faster.

You can use slower lenses, but you have to be very good with your timing to avoid getting a card full of blurred shots. If the band is really lively on stage, it might be an exercise in futility...:lol:

The 50mm f1.8 will work great, though.

Great, thank you!!! I'll post some pics next week :)

The most important thing to have for such shots is permission.
Some groups are very touchy about outsiders using their images. The more popular the group, the bigger the money involved can be. Some travel with security people who are often hired more for brawn than tact. Do get clearance.
For pics, backstage means side shots, not the best.
Highlights will expose just fine but you will have deep shadows. Can be tough from side and back.

I'll echo what was previously said - find out the guidelines for photography before you start shooting. Many times when I'm working on a concert photo assignment I'll have full access to backstage as well as the pit but I never take photos backstage. I feel like that's private time for friends and family and it's not part of what I'm there for.

Conversely, when the band is on stage I'll shoot photos of the live music within the pre-determined guidelines (i.e No Flash, three songs only etc.)

Most of all have fun! Concert photography is fun and rewarding yet extremely difficult.

GRTaylor2 Portfolio of Photography | Gregory Taylor Photography

Cheers~ GRT2

Definately spot focus on the performer. Wait for them to hit the white lights and shoot then. I find the coloured lights just too dark and throw things of.

Most reactions

Back