Why changing shutter speed makes my image (in preview) darker?

thetoxicmud

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I understand why changing aperture to small darkens image in viewfinder or cameras screen, you physically close aperture by changing this setting thus you let less light in.

But changing shutter speed setting have no physical effect at the time of increasing speed/before taking picture. Again i understand that faster shutter lets less light in but that happens during taking pictures and not while you adjust the setting? Shutter stays closed . Yet it darkens picture on screen or viewfinder, even in manual mode when other settings-aperture and ISO do not auto adjust.

What camera / lens are you using?

I understand why changing aperture to small darkens image in viewfinder or cameras screen, you physically close aperture by changing this setting thus you let less light in.

But changing shutter speed setting have no physical effect at the time of increasing speed/before taking picture. Again i understand that faster shutter lets less light in but that happens during taking pictures and not while you adjust the setting? Shutter stays closed . Yet it darkens picture on screen or viewfinder, even in manual mode when other settings-aperture and ISO do not auto adjust.
Do you have live view set, by any chance?

Do you have live view set, by any chance?
Not that I’m aware of, I did not make any changes to settings yet.

Also if we are here already, I won’t be posting separate thread. I’m in the process of reading manual of r10. It says that in manual mode , with iso set to auto with shutter button pressed I should be able to adjust exposure compensation with control ring, but it doesn’t work, doesn’t adjust the compensation. It works when I set to manual focus though. Any idea why? The ring icon appears next to EC when shutter button is halfway pressed too, but nothing happens.

Bit odd, manual tells that with ISO on auto I should be able to manually adjust EC if I press it on touch screen, I do that and adjust compensation with my finger, then after I confirm ,it auto adjust itself after pressing shutter button so basically I have no control on EC. I know that M mode is for full manual control, just want to know what is happening in settings.

Not that I’m aware of, I did not make any changes to settings yet.

Also if we are here already, I won’t be posting separate thread. I’m in the process of reading manual of r10. It says that in manual mode , with iso set to auto with shutter button pressed I should be able to adjust exposure compensation with control ring, but it doesn’t work, doesn’t adjust the compensation. It works when I set to manual focus though. Any idea why? The ring icon appears next to EC when shutter button is halfway pressed too, but nothing happens.

Bit odd, manual tells that with ISO on auto I should be able to manually adjust EC if I press it on touch screen, I do that and adjust compensation with my finger, then after I confirm ,it auto adjust itself after pressing shutter button so basically I have no control on EC. I know that M mode is for full manual control, just want to know what is happening in settings.
I'm afraid I can't help you much, but there are quite a number of Canon users here who are usually ready to help. If all else fails, maybe try a separate thread in the Canon forum. Good luck!

I'm afraid I can't help you much, but there are quite a number of Canon users here who are usually ready to help. If all else fails, maybe try a separate thread in the Canon forum. Good luck!
Thank you anyway,you are right I think I will copy and paste to canon sub here.

Light and time are the tools we use in our cameras. Change one of those requires the other to change to make up. Less light = more time, and vs versa.

Typically the shutter is OPEN with a mirrorless camera when the camera is on. The scene you are pointing at is projected onto the sensor and it is relayed to the viewfinder. Turn the camera off and you will hear a click. That is the shutter closing.

When you change a lens, turn the camera off so that the sensor is covered. Otherwise the sensor will be naked with a risk of getting dirt or rain on it.

These cameras are smart and (depending on settings) can anticipate what the photo will look like before you take the picture. So if it looks dark, the camera's algorithms are telling you the pic will be dark. That is useful, don't you think?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back