Advice on which Camera to buy

Miss_604

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there I am new to this forum, and apologize in advance for the long post to follow, but after reading a bunch of posts, I could really use your advice on what camera to get for my first/hopefully last DSLR to purchase.

Currently I use regular point and shoot consumer model cameras (generally good quality, but not the best available, and I've been somewhat happy with their use). I come from a film background, but mainly in front of the camera, and have always appreciated photographers work. I want to transition from it being a hobby to something professional and am hoping to purchase a good professional grade DSLR that will hopefully last as I grow in photography and potentially independent film making. In the upcoming year, I see myself starting with portraits, lifestyle, and family photography, and hopefully moving towards weddings. I also would like the ability to shoot video but it's not crucial in my camera choice, it would be nice to have it as an option though. I could also see myself shooting for a the local newspaper eventually (I live in a very small town now). I kind of am a sucker for marketing and I like the thought of a Canon (due to it's seemingly ease of use), but could be persuaded if you really think that a Canon is not the best option for what I want. In terms of affordability I am strongly considering the Canon 60D or the Canon 7D, will these cameras last me in my career, and am trying to figure out why the if the 50D Mark II is more expensive yet seemingly similar.

From the video's that I have seen it appears that the Canon 60D has slightly better color saturation, but the 7D seems sharper and more lifelike imaging although fairly similar. (Is it just my imagination?) Are there any other models I should consider, and are these cameras professional enough to be able to offer customers premium photos? Also which lenses do you think would be best to start off with for the model that you think would best suit me. I really appreciate the feedback!

Thank-you!!!

60D<7D<5D<1D

keeps getting better(also prices)

get a midrange body and some good lens! being stuck with kit lens aint good(I am)

Thank you nathfromslg for the reply. If I went with the 7D do you think I will want to upgrade in the next few years to the 5D or 1D, or do you think it will last me awhile? And in terms of lenses because I live in a small town currently I have to order most things online, are there certain lenses you would recommend as a good investment/what would be your top 2 recommendations for my starter lenses?

Thanks again!!!

Hi Miss 604 - welcome to the forum. As you consider a career in photography, you may want to think about investing in a course or books that cover the basics of camera technology and terminology. In the meantime, here is a quick comparison of these three cameras.

The cameras you have listed differ in several significant ways - the 7D has a metal, weathersealed body, the 60D does not.

The 60D has a flip-out LCD, very useful for film-making, the 7D does not.

The 5D Mark II, which you also mention, is not similar to the 60D and 7D. It has a larger "full frame" sensor, while the 60D and 7D share the smaller APS-C crop sensor, which has implications for lens choices and the depth of field produced by these cameras. The 5D is also a metal, weathersealed camera.

Do you need a rugged camera body for outdoor shooting? If so, the 60D is probably not the camera for you. Do you need the light gathering ability and depth of field control of a full frame camera? If so, the 7D is probably not the camera for you.

Do you want a camera with a headphone jack - which is essential for film making, in my view? Then you're either going to have to get a Nikon D600, or spend a lot more money on a Canon 5D Mark III (not a Mark II).

If you want a pro quality "starter" camera with future growth potential as a filmmaker's camera, I would look seriously at the Nikon D600. It is a rugged, full frame camera and is on sale in the States right now for $1997US with lens at Adorama. Here is their international shipping policy.

Here are the stills shooters are producing with the D600: Flickr: The Nikon D600 CLUB Pool

And this was Nikon's debut video, shot with the camera:

[video=vimeo;49436646]http://vimeo.com/49436646[/video]
Hope this is helpful, good luck with your new career, and best of the New Year!
Bill

You say you want to go pro and mention weddings so a full frame option may work better for you. Bigger sensors mean less noise so it gives you better low light options. If you are sticking with canon the 5dii is a relatively low cost proven camera. The Nixon d600 mentioned seems to be getting good reviews. I wouldn't rule out the Sony a99 if you can do without an optical. viewfinder. Down side is fullframe lenses are more expensive

Most reactions

Back