Advice to newcomers

I like the idea of sending the advice out in a welcome email, too. And I like what you came up with too, Lew, it's good advice.

Following Compaq's thoughts (I think), I did a simple re-write. My added words are in green, everything else is Lew's:

----
Welcome to TPF
This is an active place with a culture all its’ own and the following ideas, hints should help you get acclimated quickly.

The best thing you can do to get started is to spend some time reading previous threads, especially if you are also new to photography. There are a lot of the same questions that get asked by new members, so if you have a specific question be sure to take a look around first to see if it’s already been answered. You can either browse the applicable sub-forum, or even better, use the search button located at the top right of your screen. Also, don’t forget that you already have other resources at hand:

· Read (or re-read) the manual for your equipment, many people don’t realize (or forget) how much information is actually in them.
· Do a general internet search if you have not done so already- there is a ton of good information out there that is very easy to find.

If you do the initial work by following the above steps (search the internet, read your manual, and search the forum) before starting a new thread, you will find that the answers you get back will be much more useful to you specifically.

-
A tip for those new to photography:
even if you don't know anything about pictures, look at lots of them and try to figure out what it is that makes them good/bad in your opinion. Then read the other comments. That's the best training there is.

-
For everyone, whether you are brand new or very experienced;
when you comment on other’s photos, be constructive. Even if you don't know the 'correct' terminology, tell them why you like or dislike the picture. (for example: I really like the way the face is in focus and the background is blurred. or 'The colors are too blurry for my taste.') Negative or positive comments unaccompanied by explanation aren't very much use to someone learning. And read all of the posts. Not doing so is like jumping into the middle of a conversation without knowing what's being discussed. It may well be that the discussion has moved on from the original point.

-
Once you’ve taken a look around, please do post some of your images! Here are some tips to get the best experience out of posting your photos for C&C:

· Do not put pictures in the Beginners Forum or the equipment forums, expecting comments or critique (c/c). Those forums are for questions and discussion.
· Pictures for critique should go in one of the appropriately themed forums. There is a very nice illustrated sticky on the mechanics of posting pictures at the top of the Beginner's Forum. If you don't want critique, make that really clear and post in the Just for Fun forum.
· Don't expect that people will go off-site to look at your gallery elsewhere, i.e. facebook, flickr, personal websites, etc. Pictures and comments posted here are a benefit to everyone and this site isn't here to boost your own site.
· Post only 1,2 or 3 pictures in any thread and number them. More than that and people can't really give detailed comments and the help you get will be minimal.
· Post large pictures, up to 1200 wide and 800 high but when you resize put the quality at about 60. There is no reason to have a higher quality on the web, it doesn't make the picture better, just the file larger.
· On the other hand, don't post small pictures and expect helpful response, there is no way to look at pictures that are 400 pixels high and see enough detail or color to be helpful.
· If you have pictures that are very similar, post the best one and tell a little about what you think of its faults or its problems. That gives viewers a place a start with their comments.
· If your post attracts comments, read them and, if they make sense, use them. Getting defensive or angry at language or attitude isn't useful. The Internet is a lousy tool to express nuance and you may be misreading what is said. There are some number of grumpy people here and they are tolerated because they make the rest of us look good. If you think you are being mistreated, call the offending message(s) to the attention of the mods.
· When you post an image. tell us what you attempted to do, tell us what you did to achieve that effect, perhaps even ask specific questions about your photograph.Avoid writing only "thoughts?" or similar, because it’s difficult for others to know what sort of feedback you are looking for.

Last edited:
When I first found this forum, I looked for just such a help page. I checked out the stickies, read some threads, and tried the search function.

I think this kind of introductory message would have been appreciated.

As for the style of writing: I much prefer succinct, precise language over effusive, pointless fluff.

When I follow the links in post #33 it says the rules state images should be posted at 800px and in the advice to newcomers it says 1200 px x800px. Maybe someone could clarify that?

I am new to this forum and to photography, in fact this is my first post after much lurking. Alas, I also am not young and impatient. I decided to take photography to capture the youth of my grandchildren.

I find this list of suggestions extremely helpful and informative. I, in no way, would be offended by receiving it.

That's my opinion, for what it's worth.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back