Advise needed on what lens to buy!

Tahlrana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there!

I'm a seriously amateur photographer. I feel like I have a good eye for photography, but I absolutely know nothing about it really. I'm unsure on different phrases used in the photography world and I'm not really entirely sure what things such as aperture are. I have tried researching these things but this is just a pre warning as I may ask really silly questions to try and understand something, so please bare with me! :)

So, anyway. Being that I am a beginner, my sister is getting married. Now, she's having a budget wedding as they both decided the getting married part is the only important bit. She's asked me to take the photos. She knows I am a beginner, but also knows I have a good eye as I'm a freelance artist anyway. I think I can take 'okay' photos with my current tools but I do want to add a bit extra to it than that so I'm looking to invest in a new lens.

I am also practicing up to the big day, and trying to learn more about my camera, but I need help choosing a lens! I'm not looking to spend an awful lot, but I'm also not expecting a lens that will produce the most amazing quality photos either. I would just like something a bit better than my standard 18-55mm lens. I assume I could take the wide shots of groups of people with this lens? So I think I'm after a lens that will be better for close up portraits (Slightly more focus on the foreground etc, blurred background). I will also be taking some action shots such as the first dance etc, but again.. I think my kit lens is okay for this? I'm really not sure and I could do with some suggestions on lenses to buy. If you could link some, that would be extra helpful. I like in the UK, but even just a guideline on make and model would be perfect, and that it is compatible with my camera.

So sorry for the wall of text, and thank you for reading! I hope someone can help me as I'm at a loss with all these things such as sensors and mm.

I have a Canon 550D!

Being that I am a beginner, my sister is getting married.
Greetings! Since you have an eye for photography, I suggest that you help select a professional photographer. Have a look at several portfolios of affordable photographers, and advise your sister on which one she should select. For declining her request to make the photographs yourself, you can help pay for the photographer's services.

Sigma's 17-50mm f/2.8 might be nice, but not very telephoto, but many like this focal length range and constant max. aperture of f/2.8 for event photography with an APS-C sensor camera. Still, better than a kit zoom for indoor work--faster maximum aperture lets in more light than the kit zoom does.

From what I've read your sister wants someone to take a few nice photos, but a photographer is not high on her list.

As above suggested, that sigma is a good lens, if your UK based you can pick one up for about 250 quid. I'm not sure what you want to or are happy to spend, but you can quite often pick up 90mm macro lenses by tamron or sigma for even less than that. If you had these two you could do nice close ups with the macro(rings etc) and also maybe long distance portraits while the 17-50 would cover more general shots

Thanks guys! Super helpful, I knew it would be good to get some input from people who have actually used the lenses. She is really just wanting some nice photos, but I want to make sure they're good. I'll look into those lens types- Is there any information in particular I should look at to make sure it fits my camera?

Just canon fit really.

Is there any information in particular I should look at to make sure it fits my camera?
Consult your camera's user's manual. There is probably a listing of lenses that will fit that particular mount. Not all Canon lenses will fit every Canon mount.

If you are bound and determined to photograph a wedding, I recommend a 50mm f/1.8 and something a bit longer than your 18-55mm zoom.

Camera Lenses Type - Canon

Being that I am a beginner, my sister is getting married.
Greetings! Since you have an eye for photography, I suggest that you help select a professional photographer. Have a look at several portfolios of affordable photographers, and advise your sister on which one she should select. For declining her request to make the photographs yourself, you can help pay for the photographer's services.
ahahah
hey now..my GF and I have been "arrowed" to shoot my brother's wedding because the bride spent all the money on the dress. effing Vera Wang...I'll verawang you!

Advice:

• don't use the widest settings for a group, step farther away.
  • the 550D is an European model so you'll be spared the agony of Thanksgiving Dinner this year.
  • The first dance and action shots are a lot harder than you think it is.
Lens advice: 50mm f/1.8 and go right in close for the closeups and don't bother about the overall shots.

Hope you have a great Christmas ;)

Most reactions

Back