AE-1 Program aperture blades not responding in lens

MrDizzy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey!
So I've received my AE-1 P in the mail yesterday and looked at some youtube videos on how to check each function to see if it's in 100% working order.

(Keep in mind I don't know much about cameras and this is my first one).

During checking the exposure preview switch on the front of the camera I didn't see any blades when looking into the lens. I checked with the shutter button, but still couldn't see the blades close.

I tried setting the aperture to 16, with a 1 sec shutter.

Would this be a lens issue or camera body issue?
I've already contacted the eBay seller (as the camera was advertised as "NEAR MINT").

I'm waiting to hear back, but I'm now thinking if it's worth going into the camera shop to ask what the issue might be, and if it's worth paying to a get a quick fix done (if possible).

Although not ideal, I'd be okay with it, if it is the lens as they go pretty cheap.

Anybody have any ideas why it would not be functioning? Or if it's the lens or Body?

Thanks!

Edit:
Sorry should have mentioned the lens type (Canon 50mm 1.4 breech lock)

Could be either the lens or the body. If you have another lens you can cross check and see if it is the body or the lens at fault.try the depth of field preview.

Last edited:
When an FD type lens is take off the camera the aperture is automatically closed down ... so you should see that occuring (I think the breech lock models do this also?). If not the problem is in the lens not the camera.

Could be either the lens or the body. If you have another lens you can cross check and see if it is the body or the lens at fault.try the depth of field preview.

Unfortunately I do no have another lens to check with. I've tried the depth of field button many times, it's how I discovered that the blades were not closing. :apologetic:

When an FD type lens is take off the camera the aperture is automatically closed down ... so you should see that occuring (I think the breech lock models do this also?). If not the problem is in the lens not the camera.

Sorry I didn't understand what you meant here, could you rephrase?

Just an update, I ended up fixing it myself. It seems as though whoever mounted the lens didn't mount it properly or something, I took it off, played with some trigger-things, messed around a bit, and re-mounted... seems to be working fine!
It seems this lens is extremely fiddly to mount.
Thanks for the help peeps

Most reactions

New Topics

Back