AF-ON button?

Val

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Could you explain correct use of this button? Its on my camera and i never touch it. Seems a little pointless to me?

I seldom use it either, but on some cameras you can assign AF-lock to it. That's cool, you focus on an object in a corner or something, lock the focus, recompose and shoot. In the studio and on a tripod I've used it to focus without touching the shutter button. It nice to use when you are just looking for a shot and compose several different combinations before you settle on a frame and shoot.

what camera do you have

Its D300. I dont think you can assign anything to it. So my focus is locked on half-press.

Its D300. I dont think you can assign anything to it. So my focus is locked on half-press.

The AF-ON button on yhe Nikons is the majic button. Alot of people don't even realize every thing it can do. You can assign alot things to it. Check the thread over at the nikoncafe for all the info you'll need.

http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=142913

It's long but a good read

.........Be safe....................James

why is it called AF-ON then? You'd think theyd name it something simpler. On my camera its just a button labled "C" sometimes i just dont understand those nikons .... ;-)

why is it called AF-ON then? You'd think theyd name it something simpler. On my camera its just a button labled "C" sometimes i just dont understand those nikons .... ;-)

Ya got me. The Nikon manuals are a pain. The one for my D-3 is almost 500 pages. It can make your head blow up if your not familure with the way they do stuff.:(

The AF-ON button on yhe Nikons is the majic button. Alot of people don't even realize every thing it can do. You can assign alot things to it. Check the thread over at the nikoncafe for all the info you'll need.

http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=142913

It's long but a good read

.........Be safe....................James

Damn, i cant belive i read the whole thread ;)

Anyway, im surprised to say the least! Ive set my camera to AF-ON mode and went out to give it a try. Conclusion is that im sticking with half-release, thank you :D

Ive understood and tried all the reasons but they are REALLY pushing it - i mean lazy to use MSC?! ffs give me a break :) also it seems many of those people havent discovered that you can actually change focal point on newer cameras ;)

Most reactions

Back