AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G

Warhorse

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have just ordered a Nikon refurbished AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G from Nikon.

I want to take better pictures of some handguns to sell.

Did I choose wisely? Camera is a Nikon D5600. I did not want to sink a lot of money into this, and figured that for $212 I could not go wrong here.

I don't own this lens, but reading stuff online about it looks like it has pretty good IQ ... and having an almost "standard" FoV may work out for what you want it for, and other shots.

I do not own the lens, but I do own a 45mm f/2.8 P-Nikkor, a manual focus lens that focuses close, and have used it with short and medium length extension tubes, and it is a nice focal length on a crop-sensor D-SLR. From what I have read, the 40mm is more of a close-focusing lens than it is a "macro" lens; since the focal length is short, it does not yield a lot of magnification, as compared with say a 105mm or a 150mm or a 180mm macro lens, but it does focus up-close! The shorter 40mm focal length has, I think, some creative potential though, especially for something like handguns; the shorter focal length might allow you to shoot stopped down at say f/16 or f/22, or even f/32 if the lens stops down that far, and get some nifty apparent perspective distortion, which would make things that are closest to the lens larger than things that might be only a few inches farther away; might be good for shooting the front sight and muzzle, while making the cylinder or slide appear smaller than in reality,etc,.etc..

Again...I think you could use the "apparent perspective distortion" you can get with a short lens shot from close-up, and do some good stuff with it.

I think a 40mm macro could be very useful; I found the 45mm lens very nice for small-scale close-up stuff, from about 5 inches away (with an extension tube added) to about three feet.

I do own it and enjoy it as much as my old Micro Nikkor 55/3.5 which it nearly matches on a DX body. Nice bokeh shot wide open. Works great as a normal lens thst’s capable of pin-sharp close-ups. Though it’s often disqualified for a relatively short working distance, the 40/2.8g would likely deliver the goods for your purposes.

I am simply amazed at Nikon!

Ordered this lens yesterday at 10:30am, received notice that it shipped a couple of hours later and that it would be delivered by UPS today by 5:00pm with a tracking number. Sure enough checked this morning, and it is out for delivery by 5:00pm today.

This is free shipping by the way! They initially quoted 5-6 business days for delivery.

I do own it and enjoy it as much as my old Micro Nikkor 55/3.5 which it nearly matches on a DX body. Nice bokeh shot wide open. Works great as a normal lens thst’s capable of pin-sharp close-ups. Though it’s often disqualified for a relatively short working distance, the 40/2.8g would likely deliver the goods for your purposes.
Thank you.

My only concern with the 40 is the close working distance, and if that will get in the way of your lighting the subject.
I am looking at a 105, to get MORE working distance.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back