AF WAAAAAY off, can i fix it?

zamanakhan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i recently purcahsed a 35-70mm 2.8 I got a "too good to be true" bargain on it. The AF is off to the point where i have to turn it beyond the point of AF confirmation if manual focusing to get a decent shot, it is also very well beyond the af calibration of the d7000, -20 just doesnt cut it, its more like -60.

Any way i can take the fix the lens myself? i dont think it would be worth it to send the lens in and i didn't pay too much where i would be afraid to go in and take it apart. I would love to use the lens but at anything below f8 its quite unusable

Taking it apart may not be too hard, but I'm pretty sure that you'd need some sort of specialized calibration tools to actually correct the problem and then putting it back together may not be as easy as it was to take apart.

I'd suggest calling a Nikon service centre and ask them about how much it would actually cost to have them fix it.

Local camera repair shop available? Would think it wouldn't cost and arm & leg to have it calibrated?
I wouldn't even attempt to repair it myself as many alignment shims,blades,rotating parts etc to lose track of.

sending it back to the place i purchased... didn't realize they had a return policy DOOOHHHH

Exchanging it for a 50 1.4G as i recently sold my 50 1.8, thnx for the help.

Most reactions

Back