Affordable zoom lens - Nikon

luckofthedraw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently upgraded my wife's Nikon camera from a D3100 to the 610.

Needless to say, she is extremely happy with the results!

For the next purchase I'd like to get a zoom lens. Can anyone point me in the direction of a affordable lens that is compatible for both bodies. ?

The 610 is used for work; family photo sessions and weddings. The 3100 is now the back up, I'd like to take it hiking with the zoom lens; and use primarily for wildlife and scenery.

I don't mind buying used, in fact on my budget....I would prefer it.

Thank you in advance.

LOTD

What is your budget?

ewww ....
you might find it's cheaper and more "complete" to get a AF-D lens for the d610
AND an AF-S DX lens for the d3100
than one AF-S lens for both.

unless you have the money

and can identify what you mean by "zoom lens"

essentially keep in mind a 24-70 on the D610
is represented differently on the d3100 as a 36-105 so you lose wide angle but gain on the long end.
(which is a debate on itself of what that is called).

So you'll want to figure out what "zoom lens" you want on both cameras first, and have a clear budget before we can help you with good solutions.

Last edited:
What is your budget?

Budget would be to stay as low as possible. This lens is for recreational purposes. Wildlife, action shots of the kids playing sports etc.

ewww ....
you might find it's cheaper and more "complete" to get a AF-D lens for the d610
AND an AF-S DX lens for the d3100
than one AF-S lens for both.

unless you have the money

and can identify what you mean by "zoom lens"

essentially keep in mind a 24-70 on the D610
is represented differently on the d3100 as a 36-105 so you lose wide angle but gain on the long end.
(which is a debate on itself of what that is called).

wow. I didn't know it would be so hard. lol.

I guess what I need then is a lens for the 3100.....i thought it would be compatible for 610.

The 610 is a prize possession in our home right now, so I'm not allowed to pack it when I ski, hike, hunt, fish etc. I want a lens to accompany me on these journeys, and the 3100 will be the camera. If I drop it or bang it up....it doesn't hit the pocket book the same as the 610.

What I mean by zoom lens is.....kids action shots halfway across the football field. Moose, deer, or birds 100-200 yards away while out hiking and fishing etc. Scenic shots across lakes...or mountains.

As you can see, I don't really have a grasp on what I'm asking about. I appreciate the help, and I am happy to answer questions that might help anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

find a good copy of the 28-105/3.5-4.5. Shouldnt cost more than $100.

or the 24-85mm F3.5-4.5 VR can be find uses for cheap.

kids action shots halfway across the football field. Moose, deer, or birds 100-200 yards away while out hiking and fishing etc. Scenic shots across lakes...or mountains.
An "all - in - one" lens.

Well for the D610 a 28-300mm lens would definitely help. But those are an "FX" Full Frame lens for a D610.
and very expensive versus a 55-300 DX lens for a D3100.

New prices such as $950 for the 28-300 FX lens versus $400 for the 55-300 DX lens. Those are NEW prices. Used or refurbished would be lower.

But keep in mind an "all in one" lens is good at a bunch of things but not "great" at specific things. But for a hobbyist they are fine.

The example of the 28-300 AF-S FX lens .. that lens would also work on the D3100 as the lens has it's own built-in motor for focusing.

You have ventured into the realm of a basic DX body versus a advanced FX body. The sensors are different sizes thus requiring the lens to create a large image circle. And the bodies are designed differently with different features. Thus one of the reasons the d610 costs a bit more than a d3100.

find a good copy of the 28-105/3.5-4.5. Shouldnt cost more than $100.

or the 24-85mm F3.5-4.5 VR can be find uses for cheap.
the 28-105 is an AF-D lens. It won't autofocus on the d3100
the 24-85 is good but doesn't have the long reach he wants and doesn't really need a FX lens for the d3100 for traveling.

kids action shots halfway across the football field. Moose, deer, or birds 100-200 yards away while out hiking and fishing etc. Scenic shots across lakes...or mountains.
An "all - in - one" lens.

Well for the D610 a 28-300mm lens would definitely help. But those are an "FX" Full Frame lens for a D610.
and very expensive versus a 55-300 DX lens for a D3100.

New prices such as $950 for the 28-300 FX lens versus $400 for the 55-300 DX lens. Those are NEW prices. Used or refurbished would be lower.

But keep in mind an "all in one" lens is good at a bunch of things but not "great" at specific things. But for a hobbyist they are fine.

The example of the 28-300 AF-S FX lens .. that lens would also work on the D3100 as the lens has it's own built-in motor for focusing.

You have ventured into the realm of a basic DX body versus a advanced FX body. The sensors are different sizes thus requiring the lens to create a large image circle. And the bodies are designed differently with different features. Thus one of the reasons the d610 costs a bit more than a d3100.

I'm begining to understand it a bit. So the 28-300 will work for both cameras...is this lens considered an "all in one"? I would still consider us "hobbyists"even though her portfolio is expanding.

I wouldn't use it for weddings in a low light church even though with the d610 it would probably work.
Though I'd recommend something more like a 24-70/2.8 & 70-200/2.8 for weddings.

I would work for both cameras though even though it might feel a bit heavy.

The 28-300 is considered an "all in one" simply because you have a wide angle at 28mm and a good reach at 300mm for Full Frame. But it has compromises in image quality when compared to more specialized lenses such as a 24-70/2.8 and 70-20/2.8 though costs much less than either of them separately.

Normally you would see a professional photographer with a stereotypical set of 3 or 4 "base" set of lenses. Wide angle of a 16-35/4, 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8, and a 300/2.8 (for range) but those are thousands of dollars. Well worth it but you have 4 lenses
versus ONE "all - in one". The 28-300 won't compare to either of those lenses but gives up those compromises to have only one lens.

What lenses are you currently using ?

I'm the "bush banger", using the D3100....and the wife is using the D610 for supplemental income.

If I purchase a zoom for the 3100; and she takes both bodies to a wedding shoot (which she already does). She comes across a need for the zoom, will the 3100 with zoom lens produce a good quality wedding shot. If so....what lens would be recommended for this scenario? And how much is the cost roughly new if you know.

Thanks.

Yes .. or No ..
now we're talking about what is "good quality"

It will get a shot. But it's dependent upon the environment. If the light is too low church situation and you're in AUTO on the d3100 more than likely the shutter speed will be too slow and you may get fuzzy / movement based photos.

It's hard to tell. Not exactly an easy question.

it's up to the photographer to know WHEN to use a particular camera body, lens, setting etc for the situation.

ok. Sounds like you get my scenario a bit, I appreciate the help. I already know more chatting on this thread in 1 morning then I did sitting and talking with the guys at lens and shutter lol.

Now knowing what lenses we have....do you have suggestions how to get into that next level....with the zoom option?

If you want to stay inexpensive then the 55-300 probably is your best bet especially if you are the "bush banger" with it. An "okay" DX lens for giving you 300mm
Another option is a 70-300 FX lens. not as wide as the 28-300 but a good high quality lens.

These lenses aren't going to get you to the "next level", one's skill will help on that.

They are for the "convenience" of an "all in one lens"

The next level is a 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 for the d610, which is a bit beyond your budget.
and of course knowing how to use them and the camera.

Most reactions

Back