African Antilope

goooner

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've got around to editing some more photos from my recent African safari. Here are a couple of antilope, and a B&W zebra I liked.
As always C&C always welcome.

#1 A nice waterbuck male (saw more waterbuck than impala on this trip). Was a tough shot with him in the shade and the blown back ground.
IMG_6013.jpg

#2 Waterbuck female. Love the 'white heart' around their noses...
IMG_6156.jpg

#3 A lone impala female having a drink. Very strange to see them alone. She was quite skittish, as a big male crocodile was floating not too far off.
IMG_6369.jpg

#4 A steenbokkie. Saw quite a few of them, but they normally scoot as soon as the vehchile stops.
IMG_6645.jpg

#5 Zebra
IMG_6024-2.jpg

I would bring up the exposure and shadows in the first picture. It's a great picture! It'd be more acceptable to have a blown background than too dark of a subject....which I think the Waterbuck is still too dark.

So, gooner, where did you go in Africa? I was in Namibia in October and it was fantastic - my fourth trip to that wonderful continent. Namibia is a country known as much for its landscapes as for its animals.

I really love the waterbuck - but you missed the backside shot - I mean would want to walk around all day with a target on your butt? :laugh2: I agree with Propilot BW about maybe the antelope being too dark.

The steenbok is also very nice, and you are right, they are very wary of things in their environment.

As for the Zebra, I think it is a bit too dark and would lighten it up a bit as well as it is a bit too contrasty for me, but if you like it, then that is really all that counts.

Looking forward to more.

WesternGuy

I would bring up the exposure and shadows in the first picture. It's a great picture! It'd be more acceptable to have a blown background than too dark of a subject....which I think the Waterbuck is still too dark.
Thank you. I think I've already brought it up by 2 stops. Will see if I can do more on the shadows, without creating too much noise. Thank you for the comments.

So, gooner, where did you go in Africa? I was in Namibia in October and it was fantastic - my fourth trip to that wonderful continent. Namibia is a country known as much for its landscapes as for its animals.

I really love the waterbuck - but you missed the backside shot - I mean would want to walk around all day with a target on your butt? :laugh2: I agree with Propilot BW about maybe the antelope being too dark.

The steenbok is also very nice, and you are right, they are very wary of things in their environment.

As for the Zebra, I think it is a bit too dark and would lighten it up a bit as well as it is a bit too contrasty for me, but if you like it, then that is really all that counts.

Looking forward to more.

WesternGuy

Thank you WG, I went to my native South Africa, to a private game lodge 'in' Kruger, we did 6 incredible game drives. You can see some more in my Kudu, and White Rhino threads...
Kudu | Photography Forum

Looking forward to more.

WesternGuy

Thank you WG, I went to my native South Africa, to a private game lodge 'in' Kruger, we did 6 incredible game drives. You can see some more in my Kudu, and White Rhino threads...
Kudu | Photography Forum
Thanks. I am hoping to get to Sabi Sands and Mashatu, either both next year or one next year and the other the year after. I am still waiting to hear from the chap who is arranging them and he is waiting to hear about accommodations and other things. I have some of my African pics, and others, posted on my Flickr page if you are interested. Click on the "Albums" heading to see them.

WesternGuy

Last edited:
Very cool. Looks like a wonderful adventure.

Most reactions

Back