Afternoon view to the sea

It took me a minute or two to figure out was I was looking at here and I don't think that is what you want your viewers to have to do. While I like black and white renditions, I don't think this one does it - the colour is better for me. I am also thinking, based on your title that the tiny sliver of black along the bottom is the "sea". I think it would have made a better composition to have more of it showing and then there is no question in people's mind what they are looking at. I would have put the sea/sky interface in the lower thirds position, at least, as a first try.

WesternGuy

In the lower thirds position would have the houses and hotel and other buildings on the horizon. On this occasion, I wanted a clear line. I used PSCC's content aware cropping tool to increase the area of sea. I tried extending it more, but didn't like the texture of the sea area as there was too much reproduction of the area, so scaled it back so it was more than twice the amount of sea there originally. To me the shot is more about a juxtaposition of horizontal waves against the diagonals of the rays...

Plus I'm not a slave to the rule of thirds which in my view would have made this shot too conventional.

An afternoon on the roof again copy by singingsnapper, on Flickr

No problem. I, for one, can appreciate the problems associated with shooting in populated areas with all kinds of buildings and the such.

WesternGuy

I like the first one as is. Definitely in color - although on my screen the blue is a bit pixelated. Not sure what WG was seeing but I didn't have a problem with knowing what it was although it's appeal for me is as an abstract.

I like this. I like the color much more than the B&W. I like the abstract feel ... I like having the figure out what I'm viewing. I like the sliver of Black Sea. Well done.

nice shot but Same thing Square peg mentioned about the blue

I like the first one as is. Definitely in color - although on my screen the blue is a bit pixelated. Not sure what WG was seeing but I didn't have a problem with knowing what it was although it's appeal for me is as an abstract.

nice shot but Same thing Square peg mentioned about the blue

That's not pixelation - that's distance haze. The horizon of the sea is a fair distance away. It was intended as an abstract because of the different textures that I saw...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back