What's new

Ahhhh Dinosaurs Helllppppppp

goodguy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Dec 5, 2012
Messages
5,555
Reaction score
1,121
Location
Toronto Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Been to the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum) today, they have a Dinosaur display today and I just had to go there with my family.
It was great both for being with the family and taking the pictures.
I also took few more pictures of the regular displays.

I hope you will enjoy these as much as I did taking them.

PS-Avarage speed of these was 1/8 so I am pretty proud of my steady hand.

DSC_1610_zpsf55cf576.jpg


DSC_1613_zpsac2432cc.jpg


DSC_1617_zps5e4b24b4.jpg


DSC_1639_zpsbea1f2db.jpg


DSC_1647_zps0e4d57c1.jpg


DSC_1648_zps9f532f86.jpg


This is not a dinosaur this is a SLOTH, yes you heard right its a Sloth and its bigger then a horse.

DSC_1669-1_zps86a1ee34.jpg


This critter is a deep water fish

DSC_1680-1_zps0e370d01.jpg


Thats a Chinese - Scarry

DSC_1713-1_zpsf2bc4247.jpg


DSC_1717-1_zps4258df7d.jpg
 
Nine or so to many, and not numbered, to offer much in the way of specific C&C, but my general impression is use of light issues.
Anyone spending just 3 minutes doing a good C&C on each image would spend 30 minutes doing so.

No fill light when fill was needed, white balance issues, poor backgrounds, exposure and focus sharpness variations.

If you want good C&C don't post more than 1 at a time.
 
Nine or so to many, and not numbered, to offer much in the way of specific C&C, but my general impression is use of light issues.
Anyone spending just 3 minutes doing a good C&C on each image would spend 30 minutes doing so.

No fill light when fill was needed, white balance issues, poor backgrounds, exposure and focus sharpness variations.

If you want good C&C don't post more than 1 at a time.

Sorry but I didnt understand much of what you said, what is C&C
What do you mean spending 3 minutes on C&C or 30 minutes ?

As for fill light, I dont have a serious flash and I didnt want to use my camera flash because then it would highlight only part of the dinosour and do more hard then good.
White balance is something I dont know at all how to control, I need to learn this but since I have so much to learn right now I didnt even got to touch this subject.
Focus and Sharpness is something I am trying to see if the problem is with the dude holding the camrra (me) or is there a problem with the camera/lens.
I didnt/couldnt use a tripod so its all hand held and if you will see the apature speed its going to be natural the pictures will not be super sharp, there was little light there and as it was I had to boost up my ISO

Would like to understand what you mean about poor backround, I have no control of the setting or sorounding so I shoot what I can.
There were a million people there so just finding a second without people sticking their heads in the frame was already a struggle.
What would you have done different ?

I am really interested to improve my skills so your input will be greatly appreciated!
 
"C&C" = "criticism and critique"

When someone posts an image in any of the galleries other than "just for fun", it's generally assumed that they are interested in feedback on those images so they can improve their skills. The best feedback generally comes when you only have a couple of images (three or four at most), and if they are numbered so people can be more specific with their comments.
 
Nine or so to many, and not numbered, to offer much in the way of specific C&C, but my general impression is use of light issues.
Anyone spending just 3 minutes doing a good C&C on each image would spend 30 minutes doing so.

No fill light when fill was needed, white balance issues, poor backgrounds, exposure and focus sharpness variations.

If you want good C&C don't post more than 1 at a time.

Sorry but I didnt understand much of what you said, what is C&C
What do you mean spending 3 minutes on C&C or 30 minutes ?

As for fill light, I dont have a serious flash and I didnt want to use my camera flash because then it would highlight only part of the dinosour and do more hard then good.
White balance is something I dont know at all how to control, I need to learn this but since I have so much to learn right now I didnt even got to touch this subject.
Focus and Sharpness is something I am trying to see if the problem is with the dude holding the camrra (me) or is there a problem with the camera/lens.
I didnt/couldnt use a tripod so its all hand held and if you will see the apature speed its going to be natural the pictures will not be super sharp, there was little light there and as it was I had to boost up my ISO

Would like to understand what you mean about poor backround, I have no control of the setting or sorounding so I shoot what I can.
There were a million people there so just finding a second without people sticking their heads in the frame was already a struggle.
What would you have done different ?

I am really interested to improve my skills so your input will be greatly appreciated!

C&C is normally assumed to mean "Comment and critique". What Keith was referring to was that if one took 3 minutes to critique each image then they would spend about 30 minutes on this one post alone. Most of us don't have time to spend that much time on one post, hence the recommendation of posting only a couple of images at a time.

Focus and Sharpness .... We see people post comments about focus and sharpness many times each and every day. Of all of them that I have read, and it would probably number into the hundreds, the instances of an actual problem with a camera or lens could probably be counted on the fingers of one hand. It does happen occasionally, but the vast majority of the time it is the person behind the camera, and it frequently stems from trying to shoot hand-held indoors with not enough shutter speed. The rule of thumb for shutter speed is the reciprocal of the focal length for STILL subjects. If you are shooting with a 50mm lens then your shutter speed should be no slower than 1/50 second. If you are shooting with a 300mm lens it should be no slower than 1/300 second. It is just a rule of thumb though since some people are able to hold a camera steadier than others, and modern lenses with vibration reduction also help. Someone new to photography should limit themselves to those speeds though.

Photographs like that are not how you check the accuracy of a camera's focus anyway. Read This Article to see how to properly test a camera and lens combination.

Fill Flash ... While a speedlight is certainly preferable to a pop-up flash, in most situations where a flash is needed even a pop-up flash is preferable to none. There are diffusers available for pop-up flashes (Even a couple of layers of tissue held in place with a rubber band will help) that are better than nothing.
 
Nine or so to many, and not numbered, to offer much in the way of specific C&C, but my general impression is use of light issues.
Anyone spending just 3 minutes doing a good C&C on each image would spend 30 minutes doing so.

No fill light when fill was needed, white balance issues, poor backgrounds, exposure and focus sharpness variations.

If you want good C&C don't post more than 1 at a time.

Sorry but I didnt understand much of what you said, what is C&C
What do you mean spending 3 minutes on C&C or 30 minutes ?

As for fill light, I dont have a serious flash and I didnt want to use my camera flash because then it would highlight only part of the dinosour and do more hard then good.
White balance is something I dont know at all how to control, I need to learn this but since I have so much to learn right now I didnt even got to touch this subject.
Focus and Sharpness is something I am trying to see if the problem is with the dude holding the camrra (me) or is there a problem with the camera/lens.
I didnt/couldnt use a tripod so its all hand held and if you will see the apature speed its going to be natural the pictures will not be super sharp, there was little light there and as it was I had to boost up my ISO

Would like to understand what you mean about poor backround, I have no control of the setting or sorounding so I shoot what I can.
There were a million people there so just finding a second without people sticking their heads in the frame was already a struggle.
What would you have done different ?

I am really interested to improve my skills so your input will be greatly appreciated!

C&C is normally assumed to mean "Comment and critique". What Keith was referring to was that if one took 3 minutes to critique each image then they would spend about 30 minutes on this one post alone. Most of us don't have time to spend that much time on one post, hence the recommendation of posting only a couple of images at a time.

Focus and Sharpness .... We see people post comments about focus and sharpness many times each and every day. Of all of them that I have read, and it would probably number into the hundreds, the instances of an actual problem with a camera or lens could probably be counted on the fingers of one hand. It does happen occasionally, but the vast majority of the time it is the person behind the camera, and it frequently stems from trying to shoot hand-held indoors with not enough shutter speed. The rule of thumb for shutter speed is the reciprocal of the focal length for STILL subjects. If you are shooting with a 50mm lens then your shutter speed should be no slower than 1/50 second. If you are shooting with a 300mm lens it should be no slower than 1/300 second. It is just a rule of thumb though since some people are able to hold a camera steadier than others, and modern lenses with vibration reduction also help. Someone new to photography should limit themselves to those speeds though.

Photographs like that are not how you check the accuracy of a camera's focus anyway. Read This Article to see how to properly test a camera and lens combination.

Fill Flash ... While a speedlight is certainly preferable to a pop-up flash, in most situations where a flash is needed even a pop-up flash is preferable to none. There are diffusers available for pop-up flashes (Even a couple of layers of tissue held in place with a rubber band will help) that are better than nothing.
Thank you for the explanation Scott, I think I got it.
I will sure to post one picture at a time from now on.
This post was a combination of hope for critisism and also simply to share my day and its pictures with you guys.
I will sure to use more my flash, I actually used my flash today but I didnt post these pictures are I didnt find them interesting at all.
I think soon I will need to seriously consider getting a flash as it looks like its unavoidable that I will need one.

Yes I know about the Rule Of Thumb of Shutter Speed and Lenses Focal Leangth, this is simply not always doable, it the light is too low you simply must lower the shuter speed and that was the case today. Under the cyrcumstanses I think the pictures came out impressivly good considering the slow shutter speed and no tripod.
I am sure the problem of sharpness is with me and not my camera, I would hate having my new camera being sent to get fixed.
I think I simply need to learn more and more and only then improve my skills.
 
As family snapshots, these are terrific. No sarcasm. But, if you're showing images to photographers for us to evaluate as images... well, there's some work to be done. Both Keith and Scott gave you very good advice. If you post in the "Just for Fun" section, we assume you're sharing, and it's not for C&C. In the other sections, the images are intended to be critiqued.
 
Thank you for the explanation Scott, I think I got it.
I will sure to post one picture at a time from now on.
This post was a combination of hope for critisism and also simply to share my day and its pictures with you guys.
I will sure to use more my flash, I actually used my flash today but I didnt post these pictures are I didnt find them interesting at all.
I think soon I will need to seriously consider getting a flash as it looks like its unavoidable that I will need one.

Yes I know about the Rule Of Thumb of Shutter Speed and Lenses Focal Leangth, this is simply not always doable, it the light is too low you simply must lower the shuter speed and that was the case today. Under the cyrcumstanses I think the pictures came out impressivly good considering the slow shutter speed and no tripod.
I am sure the problem of sharpness is with me and not my camera, I would hate having my new camera being sent to get fixed.
I think I simply need to learn more and more and only then improve my skills.

You're right in that the rule of thumb for shutter speed is not always doable, that's why it is a rule of thumb. However when you start getting below into the realm of slow shutter speeds, especially at longer focal lengths, you HAVE to do something to retain sharpness. Example:

2012-08-12-07.jpg


This photograph of a Clouded Leopard cub isn't one of my greatest but it does make a point. It was shot hand-held through glass at 1/30 second and 300mm, f/8 at ISO 1000. If I gave up any sharpness it wasn't much. Since I knew there was no possible way for me to shoot at 1/30 second and 300mm without something to help me out I was crammed into the corner of their viewing area and had the camera braced on the edge of the window frame.

When you choose to ignore the rules you have to do something to balance things in your favor. When you are down to slow shutter speeds and aren't using a tripod you need to brace the camera on something. A table, a tree, even someone's shoulder is better than nothing. If you don't do something to even the odds then all you are doing is hoping for the best, and that's not good enough. Take control of your shots. Don't just "Hope" they will turn out, MAKE them turn out.
 
As family snapshots, these are terrific. No sarcasm. But, if you're showing images to photographers for us to evaluate as images... well, there's some work to be done. Both Keith and Scott gave you very good advice. If you post in the "Just for Fun" section, we assume you're sharing, and it's not for C&C. In the other sections, the images are intended to be critiqued.
Thank you for your comment and again as I said next time I will post one picture for you guys to evaluate.
 
Thank you for the explanation Scott, I think I got it.
I will sure to post one picture at a time from now on.
This post was a combination of hope for critisism and also simply to share my day and its pictures with you guys.
I will sure to use more my flash, I actually used my flash today but I didnt post these pictures are I didnt find them interesting at all.
I think soon I will need to seriously consider getting a flash as it looks like its unavoidable that I will need one.

Yes I know about the Rule Of Thumb of Shutter Speed and Lenses Focal Leangth, this is simply not always doable, it the light is too low you simply must lower the shuter speed and that was the case today. Under the cyrcumstanses I think the pictures came out impressivly good considering the slow shutter speed and no tripod.
I am sure the problem of sharpness is with me and not my camera, I would hate having my new camera being sent to get fixed.
I think I simply need to learn more and more and only then improve my skills.

You're right in that the rule of thumb for shutter speed is not always doable, that's why it is a rule of thumb. However when you start getting below into the realm of slow shutter speeds, especially at longer focal lengths, you HAVE to do something to retain sharpness. Example:

2012-08-12-07.jpg


This photograph of a Clouded Leopard cub isn't one of my greatest but it does make a point. It was shot hand-held through glass at 1/30 second and 300mm, f/8 at ISO 1000. If I gave up any sharpness it wasn't much. Since I knew there was no possible way for me to shoot at 1/30 second and 300mm without something to help me out I was crammed into the corner of their viewing area and had the camera braced on the edge of the window frame.

When you choose to ignore the rules you have to do something to balance things in your favor. When you are down to slow shutter speeds and aren't using a tripod you need to brace the camera on something. A table, a tree, even someone's shoulder is better than nothing. If you don't do something to even the odds then all you are doing is hoping for the best, and that's not good enough. Take control of your shots. Don't just "Hope" they will turn out, MAKE them turn out.
Thank you for the good advice!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom