Alaska coast and glaciers

nmoody

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took a trip last week to Alaska on a cruise, well worth it for anyone who is interested in some amazing landscape opportunity.

This is the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, we took a high through the rain forest to get a closer look.
DSC3600.jpg

The Mendenhall Glacier again but if you look closely there are three people on it. This gives a good scale of it.
DSC3723.jpg

Tracy's Arm Fjord
DSC4031.jpg

Piece of glacier from Dawes Glacier in Endicott Arm Fjord
DSC4184.jpg

Dawes Glacier
DSC4333.jpg

More glacier pieces and coastline in Endicott Arm Fjord
DSC4351.jpg

Coastline in Endicott Arm Fjord
DSC4382.jpg

The colors of the water and ice are correct. Glacial ice is very dense which causes the deep blue colors. The water is so green in some of the pictures due to the melting glacial ice in the Fjord. There is not much oxygen in the water due to this so minimal life.

I really like the piece of glacier...simple as it is I really like it. I would have like to see a different crop than having it center left though.

Cool pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Ernicus! I wish I could crop that one another way but that's exactly how I took it in the camera. I went in too close to it.

Trever1t its a must do. I took over 1650 pictures (90% landscape) over the 5 days and I regret not taking more. There is a awesome image every other minute when you are going through the islands and long the coast. Skagway impresses the heck out of my, the mountainous that surround the town are simple breathtaking. I also wish I had a wide angle like the 14-24 instead of my kit lens and the 70-300 Tamron.

Just a great set. Tracy's Arm Fjord is just a tremendous composition.

Thanks Ernicus! I wish I could crop that one another way but that's exactly how I took it in the camera. I went in too close to it.

NP. :)

Seeing how you have a few thousand pics to edit and sort, I took the liberty of making this one how I like 'em. :) Cropped, adjusted levels a bit, killed blown highlights (created from level adjust...not your shooting), selective burns and dodges and fixed tilt. Kinda looks like glass now a bit...lol. Darker than most people like...but I like dark images.

I love this picture. I like the others you put up, certainly some more beautiful, but for some reason I like this little guy just floatin along. lol

$Glacier5.jpg

Yeah it really does look like glass now, nice edit =)

Here is another deep blue one since you liked that one so much. This one is not a clean but has some interesting characteristics to it.
DSC4200.jpg

And here is one with the sheer walls in the background
DSC4309.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, looks like Alaska.

Here is another deep blue one since you liked that one so much. This one is not a clean but has some interesting characteristics to it.

Cool, thanks. I do love that blue in these things. Stupid question...but are they really that blue up and in person, or is that just atmospheric or surroundings that give them that color from afar, then when you get up to them they are just ice

Cool, thanks. I do love that blue in these things. Stupid question...but are they really that blue up and in person, or is that just atmospheric or surroundings that give them that color from afar, then when you get up to them they are just ice
Not directed at me, but...

Yes, they are that blue in person. It is not the surrounding area that makes them blue.

$Glacier20-1.jpg

Here's my rendition of this one. looks kinda like a blue glass tree trunk floating by.

Didn't get a good edit on the other one. messed it up and i'm sleepy now. lol. going to bed.

thanks again for sharing your journey with us

Hmm. you beat me to it, I also went a cruise a few weeks ago to alaska (westerdam, same boat?). Very impressive stuff and beautiful.. Ill be posting my stuff too shortly

As Kazooie said they are that blue. I typically process my photo's to be as close to what I saw as possible. It really is such an odd sight seeing something that bright blue in the wild that isn't a animal.

Hmm. you beat me to it, I also went a cruise a few weeks ago to alaska (westerdam, same boat?). Very impressive stuff and beautiful.. Ill be posting my stuff too shortly

Nope not the same boat but I did see yours at one point. I was on an NCL Rhapsody.

Cant wait to see your pictures =)

Most reactions

Back