Allergies

PlasticSpanner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cheshirecatcarclub.info
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Found out this week that I am allergic to Gluten (Wheat products) and my son is also Lactose intolerant which would explain why he's been ill for so long.

As a result we are trying to put together foods that we can all have but we have come across a few problems.

Whenever we use soya milk in hot drinks like tea or coffee it seperates like sour milk.:( Is there a milk replacement out there that can be used in hot drinks?

Also my wife bought some rye bread and it's awful! More like a dense, unsweetened cake! She also bought a gluten free loaf that cost nearly £2.00 and it's tiny! Each slice measures 3 inches square and there's about 10 slices in it!:( Does anybody know of any alternative bread?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Spelt Bread...

The grain is called 'Spelt'. Spelt is the great grandfather of Wheat.
Wheat is a breed of spelt that a lot of people are alergic to. (including me)
I'm lucky enough to have a mom that makes her own bread, I'm not sure where you would get spelt bread made anwhere though...

Anyways, bread made with spelt tastes almost exactly like wheat.(if not better)

good luck, it will cost more... but it's also a lot more healthy. :)

Here you can get Lactose Free 2% milk that tastes like milk but is sweeter ... it is cows milk that has already had the lastose broken down into simple sugars ... it's something like 99% lactose free ... I use it myself as well as my mother and the baby ... my 5-year old was lactose intolerant up until 2 years ago but grew out of it. They say that if you keep them off it from the beginning that they often grow out of it.

In terms of gluten free diet ... my best suggestion would be to make your own bread as well. If you pick up a bread maker it can be very easy to do. Spelt flour (that Littleman mentioned) can still bother some celiac's (people who cannot use gluten) as it does still contain some gluten. ... My mother used to use mixtures of spelt flour, potato flour, rice flour and corn flour ... however I wouldn't suggest the corn flour as it's very strong tasting.

Make sure you always read labels as well as there are an infinite number of unlikely products that use wheat as a filler - toothepaste for example ...

Anyways good luck with the diet :mrgreen:

Did they test for Caesin intolerance or just find a diary problem and pronounce it as lactose intolerance? Caesin is a protein in cow's milk that is not in human milk and is a BIG cause of colic in babies (not that most doc's will admit it). Anyway, I agree with the rice milk over soy - less side issues.

Most reactions

Back