Irishwhistler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
d9oxBqIeTvKr8n1aHAG0uQ_thumb_4e2f_Fotor.jpg

ALLIE MAE

Aye Mates,
I spent some time this morning with ALLIE MAE and her owner / handler Bill. A beautiful yellow Labrador Retriever of select British and Irish field performance bloodlines, ALLIE MAE was sired by my gun dog HRCH UH TTF CRAIGHORN KIFFIN TRAD SH and is out of TTF BIRCH BRANCH MAGGIE.

ALLIE MAE is trained by yours truly and is in her debut season as an upland bird gun dog. A highly athletic and bird driven retriever, ALLIE MAE has flushed many pheasants to the gun this season and subsequently delivered many birds to hand in classic style.

ALLIE MAE is the half sibling to my young gun dog trainee LAKE CHAFFEE'S AUTUMN LEGACY O' TRAD FINIAN MAC. ALLIE MAE and MAC were both Sired by TRAD but are out of different dams. Both ALLIE MAE and MAC are carrying on the outstanding genetic traits of their sire TRAD and those results have been highly evident in their field performance. A highly talented duo, these wonderful young retrievers are on track to become incredible gun dogs.

Cheers,
THE DOG WHISTLER

Pretty pup. Here in the south Labs are popular as retrievers with the waterfowl set, but don't see many in upland bird. How's the nose compare to say a GSP, or Britt?

Pretty pup. Here in the south Labs are popular as retrievers with the waterfowl set, but don't see many in upland bird. How's the nose compare to say a GSP, or Britt?

I'll answer your question with a question. How many GSP's or Britt's do you see being used as bomb or drug detection dogs?

THE DOG WHISTLER

Around here the Belgian Malinois and German Shepard are the most common for search and detection, by fire investigators and police. Possibly due to their ability to be a dual threat (detection/apprehension). I've been on scene and in training with the state fire marshal's Malinois many times, great nose for accelerants and you dont want to be facing those teeth. Our K9 search and rescue unit (started as a unit in our department) has a mixture of ground scent (Blood hounds) and air scent (Australian Shepards). Fascinating to watch them work. In no way discounting the Labrador just not accustomed to seeing them in the settings you mention.

Last edited:
Around here the Belgian Malinois and German Shepard are the most common for search and detection, by fire investigators and police. Possibly due to their ability to be a dual threat (detection/apprehension). I've been on scene and in training with the state fire marshal's Malinois many times, great nose for accelerants and you dont want to be facing those teeth. Our K9 search and rescue unit (started as a unit in our department) has a mixture of ground scent (Blood hounds) and air scent (Australian Shepards). Fascinating to watch them work.

I was on the job in LE and we always used Labs for scent work and Shepards for apprehension work. For certain on the Malinois and Shepards if ye need the fear factor and bite work. Other environments such as schools, retail establishments, public events venues, transportation centers - the Labs have great noses without putting the general public into a state of fear.

Mike

the Labs have great noses without putting the general public into a state of fear.

LOL I can agree with that. The Malinois and I kept a mutually agreeable distance!! They remind me a little of a Doberman, like there's a tightly wound spring inside that could unwind at any second. I raised both Dobermans and Shepards for several years. The Shepards were far more level tempered and IMO easier to train. Best ever cattle dog was a German Long hair Shepard. She knew what, when and how to do anything we asked of her.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back