~ ALLIE MAE ~ A LABRADOR GUN DOG (Warning Graphic Images)

Irishwhistler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Aye Mates,

A few photos capturing the progress o' British / Irish Labrador Retriever gun dog ALLIE MAE, currently three years old and our o' a breeding sired by me champion HRCH UH TTF CRAIGHORN KIFFIN TRAD SH and out o' TTF BIRCH BRANCH MAGGIE.

DSC02981_FotorResized.jpg

~ Allie Mae ~ A wee waterfowler at the ripe old age o' six weeks. ALLIE MAE exhibited bird drive right from the start.

DSC03012_FotorResized.jpg

~ Charmed~ The Dog Whistler working his retriever trainer charm on Allie Mae and one of her siblings, or was it the other way around? There were a total of seven beautiful Labrador pups in this selective breeding (four yellow pups and three black pups).

The training o' Allie Mae was entrusted by her owner Bill to yours truly very early on in her development as a gun dog prospect trainee.

DSC07170_FotorResized.jpg

~ Special Delivery ~ Fast forward and many days o' formalized training later, Allie Mae is seen gently delivering a game bird in classic style into the hand o' her owner / handler Bill upon his issue o' the command "GIVE". Allie Mae is utilized primarily in the hunting o' upland game birds and is also a cherished loyal family companion. Bill and Allie Mae are rarely seen apart. A more gentle and social dog would be hard to come by

DSC06671_FotorResized.jpg

~
Team Allie Mae ~ Allie Mae and her owner handler Bill are seen with a nice trio o' rooster pheasants after a successful morning's hunt. Allie Mae is a seasoned retriever gun dog that demonstrates intense bird drive, penetrates heavy bird cover tenaciously, is an excellent tracker with great scenting ability, marks the flight and downing o'birds very accurately, and is steady to wing, shot, and fall. Allie Mae is very stylish and athletic while working birds afield and she is a true joy to watch at work. Allie Mae's obedience is spot on.

Bill is absolutely thrilled with Allie Mae as his companion gun dog. Bill and his wife Maria are amazed at how Allie Mae is so calm about their home and how gentle she is with their grandchildren.

I have a particularly soft spot in me heart for Allie Mae, both as her trainer, and having provided the sire for this breeding. A very sweet Labrador o' particularly fine British and Irish field performance bloodlines, Allie Mae is a pleasure both whilst afield or as a companion dog in the home.

Allie Mae will enter her fourth season afield hunting upland birds in the autumn / winter o' 2020.

Cheers,
THE DOG WHISTLER ☘️

Nice shot and dog. I realize the bell let's you know where the dog is. Why and when is that necessary?

Alan,
Great question ye pose for those unfamiliar. The wearing of the bell by a dog when it is hunting is for multiple purposes. Game birds tend to hold tight within heavy cover, their tendency to do so is an adapted survival skill that helps protect them from being attacked by avian predators flying above them. Allie Mae and most Labrador Retrievers when hunting upland game birds are considered "flushers", their job being to use their nose / scenting ability combined with their penetration into heavy bird cover (thick vegetation), locate the bird and flush it into the air for the hunter / gunner for a possible shot at it by use of a shotgun. The bell aids the hunter in knowing where the dog is within the cover which is a safety factor for the dog. Additionally, when hunting one of my dogs singly, I can tell by the tempo of the bell if the dog is on the track of a bird and about to make a flush. When. working my two dogs together, I use bells with distinctively varied pitches so that I can distinguish the location of each individual dog.

When hunting upland birds, my dogs have been trained to "quarter" back and forth in a crisscrossing pattern as we walk into the wind. My Labs can pick up on bird scent carried on the wind from incredible distances from the source bird. I can keep them from roaming too far out in front of me by the use of specific whistle signals so that why do not unwittingly flush birds far outside of the capable range of the shotgun.

Both of my Labs and those I train for clients are considered "steady to wing, shot, and fall", that is, they are trained to sit immediately upon their having flushed a bird into the air and must remain steady in the sit until released by verbal command. When they are at the steady sit, their job is to visually track the flight and fall of a bird if it is in fact shot by the gunner, this is referred to as "marking:". If the bird is shot and falls, the dog is released by the handler / hunter saying its name, that being a conditioned release command that allows the dog to proceed to the area of fall and to make retrieve of the bird. If the bird is wounded and not dead, the dog is trained to scent track the bird and recover it. All birds retrieved are expected to be carried gently by the retriever and delivered classically into the hand of the hunter. A sort or gentle carry is conditioned so as to render the bird worthy for consumption as prepared by the hunter.

Some game birds tend to go up when flushed in coveys and that at times result in multiple birds being downed. In such cases, the dog will often make multiple marks and will commit to memory the location of any birds downed in addition to the first bird it is sent upon to retrieve.

I compete with my dogs in AKC organized hunt tests and the dogs in upper level stakes are often required to perform multiple marked retrieves over both land and water

These dogs are truly K9 athletes and their combined physical abilities and style whilst working afield is an act of beauty to observe.

These. are images of my two competition and companion gun dogs TRAD and MAC. TRAD is the sire of ALLIE MAE and of MAC. ALLIE MAE and MAC are half siblings (same sire but each out of a different dam).

blNxZTZITZ63Q2faAPZYgQ_thumb_a27e_Fotor.jpg

~ HRCH UH TTF CRAIGHORN KIFFIN TRAD SH ~ TRAD is seen during a hunt for pheasant. TRAD is currently titled as a Hunting Retriever Champion, Upland Hunter, and as an AKC Senior Hunter.

stvIYF1pTHSXv0wdEgxhpQ_thumb_bbc7_Fotor.jpg

~ SHR LAKE CHAFFEE'S AUTUMN LEGACY O' TRAD FINIAN MAC JH ~ MAC is currently title as a Started Hunting Retriever and as an AKC Junior Hunter. MAC was honored by selection as the 2019 Yankee Waterfowler's Hunting Retriever Club Junior Dog Of The Year and currently is 8 for 8 in hunt test stakes entered in.

The upward angle of MAC'S head as depicted in this image typifies that of these dogs when "sampling" the air for bird scent as trained and instinctive. The olfactory senses and cooperative nature of Labrador Retrievers make the breed invaluable for arson, bomb, narcotics detection, as well as for evidence recovery in aid to law enforcement agencies.

Cheers,
Mike ☘️

That's pretty amazing. I'm not a hunter. But I could see if I was, teaming with dogs you love and are proud of probably beats the shoot.

Alan,
The actual shooting / killing of game birds is such a minuscule part of the hunting experience. Truly if that was all there was to it, I would have given it up long ago and I have been hunting for over half a century.

Your mention of teamwork with ones dog(s) and clearly you have an appreciation for that element. I train, live, travel, compete, and hunt with my dogs year 'round and the dogs are really like family to me.

The level of training that goes into highly accomplished dogs of this caliber is beyond the scope of most dog owners. During the "off season" when the closely regulated hunting season is open, I can be found with my dogs and training client dogs working nearly every day.

All of the elements of a retriever hunt test that must be performed on land, must also be performed on water. As the hunt test stakes progress in levels, each of those bring on more challenging setups that the dog and handler must pass whilst under judgement.

Retrievers are also required to perform so called "blind" retrieves on both land and water. Those are in effect where the dog is sent from the handler's side, out to make a retrieve of a bird that the dog did not see fall, its location is unknown to the dog being sent. Dogs conditioned / trained to do blind retrieves have been taught to "handle". A dog that handles will take casts from the handler in directing the retriever to the blind. Having been sent out to make the retrieve, the handler and judges want to see the dog take as straight a line to where the blind has been planted as is possible. Should the dog deviate from the line it is sent on, the handler will blast their whistle once ( signal for the dog to turn and sit facing the handler and wait to be sent (cast) in a direction that will get it back on line toward the blind. When working a blind retrieve in the water, a dog off line will be given one blast of the whistle and be expected to turn one hundred and eighty degrees to face the handler and tread water while awaiting in a gestural cast from the handler to get the dog back on line and making progress toward the blind. Essentially, conditioning the dog to respond as such is akin to the handler having a wireless joystick to directional cast the dog toward the blind.

There are a number of "suction factors" that can cause a retriever to stray off of the line sent on, those include but are not limited to; wind direction, scent, an object of a color that does not blend into the background color, topographical features, etc. The handler is always watchful for any such factors that may pull their dog off of the line it was sent on. A dog that continually refuses to follow casts it is given by the handler will very likely be eliminated with a failing score. At the Master Hunter stakes level, the lines the dogs are sent on will most often be well in excess of 100 yards and can be out to 150 yards. I often work my dogs during training on blind retrieves exceeding 200 yards.

These are just some elements of a hunt test, and there are others involved including "diversions". A diversion is a bird that falls close to the pathway that the dog is returning on with a previous retrieve. The returning retriever is trained to ignore the diversion bird (other than visually marking it and remembering where it fell) and to complete the retrieve it is currently making. Once the retriever has completed to retrieve it had been returning with, it is then sent to make retrieve of the diversion bird.

As noted, all of these skills are based in extensive training and mutual trust between the handler and their retriever. Scores for various elements required in a given stake and dogs are judged against a prescribed standard. If a retriever does not meet the standard it fails the hunt test. If the retriever receives a passing score, it gains a qualifying leg toward a title in the stake it is being ran in. A specified number of passing scores must be achieved at each stake level for the retriever to earn a title at that level.

Take a look at YouTube for AKC Hunt Tests at the Junior, Senior, and Master Hunter levels and you will gain a better understanding of what is required of these fascinating K9 athletes and the handler / trainers.

You might consider attending a hunt test held by a retriever club in your area and bring your camera as you can get some amazing images of retrievers at work.

Cheers,
Mike ☘️

I've watched retreiver trials on TV. The skills of the dog and handlers are pretty amazing.

I once saw a comparison between dog and wolf. There are some basic differences I wasn't aware of. They hid a treat under a bowl turned upside down, one of three. The other two were empty. When the handler pointed to the selected bowl, the dog knew immediately and went there to get the treat. It knew it was under one of them. But it waited until the handler "told" him which one. The wolf, who was domesticated, had no idea. It just doesn't understand aiming signals. It can't connect the symbolism. That actually seems strange to me. Because I believe wolf packs do communicate to each other on the hunt.

My wife and I had a small gray poodle who we loved. We got him to count one to five with barks. But he couldn't retrieve a stick if his life depended on it. Hated the water too. We miss him a lot.

I've watched retreiver trials on TV. The skills of the dog and handlers are pretty amazing.

I once saw a comparison between dog and wolf. There are some basic differences I wasn't aware of. They hid a treat under a bowl turned upside down, one of three. The other two were empty. When the handler pointed to the selected bowl, the dog knew immediately and went there to get the treat. It knew it was under one of them. But it waited until the handler "told" him which one. The wolf, who was domesticated, had no idea. It just doesn't understand aiming signals. It can't connect the symbolism. That actually seems strange to me. Because I believe wolf packs do communicate to each other on the hunt.

My wife and I had a small gray poodle who we loved. We got him to count one to five with barks. But he couldn't retrieve a stick if his life depended on it. Hated the water too. We miss him a lot.

Alan,
Sorry for the loss of ye companion poodle. Never easy losing a companion animal.

Best Regards,
Mike ☘️

Great shots, fine looking dogs, you have every right to be proud of them. I've always hunted Britts, preferring the pointers. Sadie also wears a bell in the field, follows hand signals and quarters well. She's much more laid back and easy to work with than her predecessor Millie. For the first year Millie likely thought her name was "Miillliiieee Dammmmiiiitt", because she would constantly test your patience, but in the field she could cover the ground. Her bell didn't ring while she was on the move it vibrated.

It's also hard for many to understand that for dogs in any of the "working groups" you develop a sense of communication that goes beyond verbal or visual que, you mentally become connected. For many years we had cattle, one of the dogs that stood out during that time was a Longhair German Shepard, named Dana. A simple command was all it took with her, as she instinctively knew what you wanted or needed, when working with the cattle.

Great shots, fine looking dogs, you have every right to be proud of them. I've always hunted Britts, preferring the pointers. Sadie also wears a bell in the field, follows hand signals and quarters well. She's much more laid back and easy to work with than her predecessor Millie. For the first year Millie likely thought her name was "Miillliiieee Dammmmiiiitt", because she would constantly test your patience, but in the field she could cover the ground. Her bell didn't ring while she was on the move it vibrated.

It's also hard for many to understand that for dogs in any of the "working groups" you develop a sense of communication that goes beyond verbal or visual que, you mentally become connected. For many years we had cattle, one of the dogs that stood out during that time was a Longhair German Shepard, named Dana. A simple command was all it took with her, as she instinctively knew what you wanted or needed, when working with the cattle.

Great stuff Smoke. I always enjoy your posts.

Cheers Mate,
Mike ☘️

Most reactions

New Topics

Back