ALMOST Buyers remorse

jeff kushner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,

I've noticed a recurring theme with many people. Lots of us getting close to, or having buyers remorse.

Like many of us, I wanted to "upgrade" the horrible pictures that I'm known for among my friends. I'd been using a WB250F Samsung and when it worked, it took reasonable pics but often, the menus would scroll instead of allowing me to get a pic.

After returning from our vacation to Negril and seeing how many shots that I "almost" got that were under-exposed or blurry, I began researching for a new camera.

The dSLR platform was out since I wanted a camera that would fit into my pocket...otherwise I won't take it with me. I also wanted a camera that I could grow with meaning that it had to better than I am at taking pics so that hopefully, I would learn how to do new things with it.

I ended up buying a decent camera(DC-ZS70) but it's features FAR exceed MY capabilities! I really liked the ZS100 with its large sensor better but I couldn't wrap my head around the 650 price tag.

So much so that last week, I confided to my sweetheart that I might have been better off had I bought to match my ability instead of buying "camera capability".

Last week we took the weekend to spend at the lake house. There, Hummingbirds live in huge numbers. We were also to see up to 30 birds at one time! I also got what are for me, some amazing pictures.

This might not seem like a big deal to you guys who have the skills but to me, someone who has been taking horrible pictures for 50 years, it's a VERY big deal indeed!

What I did was to focus on learning a bit more about aperture opening sizes and speed along with a little light reading on exposures....but the point was, it worked!

I would suggest that if you are or near that point of wishing you hadn't bought your camera, maybe focusing on taking a specific type of shot will allow you to succeed and make you feel better about your purchase! It sure worked for me and it has caused my interest in learning more to grow as well!

jeff

The pics below were all resized since they are 10MB files:

First was taken at 8000fps, F4.9 iso2000
Second was taken at 8000fps, F5.1, iso640
Third was playing and it was taken at 4000fps, F5.3, iso 1600

Attachments

• Slow-r1.jpg
    Slow-r1.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 152
  • Slow-drink r1.jpg
    Slow-drink r1.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 131
  • so fast! r1.jpg
    so fast! r1.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 147
Last edited:
You did get some pretty good pics. The wing shape...is this from "rolling shutter" artifacting? regardless of what it's from, the shots are neat! Good post, good outlook too!

Thanks Derrel. I did not understand the phenomenon at first...heck, I was tickled pink just to be able to take some decent shots for the first time!

I def needed a "boost" by taking some shots that I wouldn't be able to take with a lesser camera to make me feel not only good about my purchase, but it also motivates me to try more!

jeff

I am glad you took the time to do a bit of reading. It most certainly paid off ... nice hummers. You captured some interesting wings ... Hummer not only flap their wings but also rotate (pitch & yaw) them to cut into the air. The wing movement is similar to a figure eight, sorta like swimming through the air. Your rolling shutter captured this rotation.

Keep reading, shooting and posting.

Gary

Most reactions

Back