Alternate lights

snaggle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
s656.photobucket.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My two other main hobby are DJing/live sound productions and aquariums, Both of witch use lots of lighting. So I wan thinking about using some of the Aquarium lights or Par cans from my DJ rig as lighting for photos. There is every thing from high power strobes to colour changing LEDs and lots of cool blue/ natural tones for aquarium lighting. Would this work with some DIY diffusers. I know that I should stick to one colour of light for each shot, is there one that is better then the other? can I mix gels to get a different tone or will that rune the shot on the camera?

I do plan to murge my photograpy and one other hobby in to a business when I am done in the military so learning to use these lights to my advantage could help me out.

Let me know what you think.

Tanks

it could prove to be a disadvantage actually. you will have to relearn with the real lights when you get them.
also, it depends on what kind of lights. depending on how much you are in to aquariums, you could be running anything from homemade cfl lights to t5 HO to metal halide.

Something Like This....

IMG_7480.jpg

IMG_7490.jpg

IMG_7500.jpg

IMG_7501.jpg

IMG_9602.jpg

IMG_9785.jpg

This is a concept that I have been working on. It is something called "painting with light". Of course this is what all photogrpahy really is, but I have been using it in a different manner. This is not an original idea, but something that I read about years ago, and just left on the shelf. I recently aquired a 6000k HID spotlight, and have used it to paint scenes after dark. This is an exciting new direction, and one with a steep learning curve, but can be very rewarding.

I would say that using one type of light will not cause you to have to relearn the others, but instead would help develop an understanding of how the camera sees different lights, under different conditions.

I am currently working up specs to either aquire, or manufacture some lights for this specific purpose. For me it represents a speciality that has been used very little, and I am hoping to be on the leading edge of this new direction in photography.

Anyone who buys one of my images is guaranteed a unique original that can never be duplicated under any circumstances. I have many conceptual designs that I am working on, and the ideas seem to be endless.

It never hurts to experiment and I always tell people they should, however with that said its important to note that if this is the first time you are going into photography and these will be primary lights for you, the lights you will want to end up using (say strobes) are going to behave differently and light your subject very different.

Its worth a shot though, if you already have those lights. The worst that can happen is you don't like using them.

Most reactions

Back