Alternate Universe

Sicboi

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This Sepia was actually converted from the original using a mirror process to simply reverse the image vertically. He came up on me from my left to quite my surprise, and he actually did fit the profile for the shop and neighborhood to some degree, yet still he looks a bit out of place here. He had no clue I was photographing him. I like people shots, they're my favorites when it comes to photography; when I take them that is. Take and look and thanks for viewing.

Attachments

• $todd01.JPG
    $todd01.JPG
    359.2 KB · Views: 88
What are you phishing for?

I'm not 'phishing' for anything.
You posted this shot that you thought enough of first to convert to sepia and then to serve as your introduction to a photography group and I was just inquiring what about this picture is of interest.

Well, thanks for commenting. Is it me or does this guy look kind of thuggish?

Looks like a typical Steelers fan to me, up to no good and a little blurry :blushing:

He looks like a college undergrad to me, without the backpack and red plastic 14-ounce cup.

I'll agree with Lew - I'm not really seeing it, either. With him in it, it doesn't appear to be thought out - his feet are cut off, and he's centered. The landscape orientation doesn't help. Without him in it, it's some houses and a wall that don't really compliment each other.

Is there such a thing as Quirky art? To me, this actually came across as a perfect 'random' people portrait. His clothes are kind of expensive too..."people commentary"; social- that is.

This was shot moments later: what exactly is going on with his expression on his face in this local shopping area? I find it that it appears as if we are all equals here but some seem to have it better than others. This always rings a bell. Somehow my subject here has it better than most it appears given his time frame and expression. I question whether or not dare I say he is posing for the camera and not 'the Man.'View attachment 66781

Sorry. It looks like you were trying to take a photo of your house and the building and guy jumped into the frame

You're not likely to get a lot of love on this from a photographic perspective. The composition is not great, you've clipped his foot, there are a lot of things in the frame that don't add anything to the picture, you've got a landscape shot where a portrait one would have worked better, etc.

In addition, the subject is "just some guy". Sure he looks a little irked or whatever, but he's also tromping through winter snow, and there's nothing else around him to indicate why he might be annoyed, so it's just sort of "oh look, he has an odd expression".

Quriky art, and terms like that, are generally reserved for people who take sub-par photographs and feel that by creating a subcategory that their picture can excel in, that it makes it a good picture.

Sorry if that's all a little pointed. I'm just giving it to you straight. We've all been where you are, though. Photography takes time and effort. Stick with it and you'll get there.

Quriky art, and terms like that, are generally reserved for people who take sub-par photographs and feel that by creating a subcategory that their picture can excel in, that it makes it a good picture.

I like this. Work not good? create a new category of art so it's the best in class.

Alternate Universe is sub-par at best it lacks almost any characteristic to make it remotely "good," imho.

I'm not crazy about the sepia or the crop. I would use the stairs on the left as a leading line to the man's shoulder. A tighter crop on the man would put more focus on the subject.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back