alternative to color card....

rdzmzda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
ok just a thought here, but is there a reason why i cant just go to the local hardware store and "borrow" a few of the paint cards? Has anyone done this how does it work out? what colors are recomended? should i just stop being cheap and buy a set? if so what would be recommended?

To what end? If you are white balancing you could use a styrofoam cup. But if you intend on actually calibrating your camera then you should get a GretagMacbeth Colour Checker Chart.
If you're trying to get the colour chart on the cheap how do you know which paints compare to which values on the colour chart?

You can forget about taking a photo of the colour cards and simply comparing what they look like to the screen as well. For that you need a calibrated screen and a calibrated viewing booth to illuminate the cards.

What are you trying to achieve? There may be an easier solution.

Probably to get a grey card on the cheap. You could do this, but you may be setting your custom WB with something that isn't actually 18% grey. I just picked up an extra card the other day for like $5 from my local camera store. Don't be cheap. lol

Its not buying the 18% grey card that is a hassle... it is remembering to carry it around with you all the time. I use something that I *know* is always with me... my hand. I used a grey card once, compared my hand under those conditions and saw it was 1.5 stops under. Now that I know that... my hand is my grey card. I can properly set for exposure and never worry.

Same goes for using someone's face... pretty easy once you do it 100-200 times... lol

Its not buying the 18% grey card that is a hassle... it is remembering to carry it around with you all the time. I use something that I *know* is always with me... my hand. I used a grey card once, compared my hand under those conditions and saw it was 1.5 stops under. Now that I know that... my hand is my grey card. I can properly set for exposure and never worry.

Same goes for using someone's face... pretty easy once you do it 100-200 times... lol
They make keychain size ones now that make it easy to attach to your bag and take with you. I wouldn't be without grey,white,black cards. It makes it so much easier in PP.

Most reactions

Back