Alternatives to lightroom in Linux.

photog4life

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hopefully this is the right section...
Anyways it was recommended to me to switch over to Linux because it would be better for my laptop blah blah blah... Only problem is I really love lightroom and was wondering if there were any programs similar to light room that you guys used. I know I can use gimp to replace Photoshop but I rarely use PS and usually do all editing in light room. If any body can be of help thank you !

Have you tried to run LR under WINE? I can't imagine that it would work very well, but you never know, it might. I have to admit that I've rather lost touch with Linux-based photo applications, but a search of "Linux Raw Handler" and similar seems to turn up a wealth of results. I'm curious though, as to how it can be 'better' for your laptop.

Darktable is probably the closest you'll get in Linux.

GIMP is good, but not really like LR...

I've always sort of hated Wine, but that's an option too, like Tirediron mentioned. There is always VirtualBox too, but you will need a Windows or Mac license code for that.

I'm curious though, as to how it can be 'better' for your laptop.
Linux typically has far fewer resource demands than Windows or Mac, so if it's an older computer, or a low-powered laptop, Linux very likely will run faster on it.

Linux typically has far fewer resource demands than Windows or Mac, so if it's an older computer, or a low-powered laptop, Linux very likely will run faster on it.

Exactly! I dual-boot my laptop here and Mint or Ubuntu flies compared to Windows. I just don't use it much for antyhing but surfing and jacking around with it.

Exactly this. My laptop is old and slow.. I was told running linux qould help it from crashing all the time so if I can find a decent lightroom replacement I plan on switching. I have looked up some LR replacements and just wanted to see what other people were using(I figured with a community as large as this a couple people would be using linux.)

HAve you used darktable josh? I like lightroom mainly for being able to quickly edit 100+ images. I dont even care about it being a file managemnet system or anything i just wanna be able to sort and edit pictures quickly and effeciently

HAve you used darktable josh? I like lightroom mainly for being able to quickly edit 100+ images. I dont even care about it being a file managemnet system or anything i just wanna be able to sort and edit pictures quickly and effeciently
Yes, I have. I don't use it frequently, but I do have it installed. The last time I used Lightroom, I think it was version 2.4. Not sure what it's up to now. But, compared to that, Darktable is similar. Maybe not quite as good - but you could tell that it's main purpose was to be a Linux alternative to LR. Hell, even the name of the program hints at that, lol.

The sorting and batch editing aspects of it are easy to use, from what I can remember.

There is another program I read something about that was supposed to be pretty good, but I can't remember what it is called... It's not in the Debian repos yet, anyway (but that's only because it's new - Debian is very slow to add packages...).

Which distro are you using? If something like Ubuntu, with it's Software Center, you should be able to just filter it to photo editing applications and find a few good ones. The package management in Debian isn't quite as user friendly - you sort of have to know what you're looking for, it's not really set up for just "browsing around".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back