Am I heading in the right direction ?

Patrice

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I have an Intel MacBook ( 2 GB ), Nikon Capture NX, photoshop elements 4 and an Epson R1800 printer. Until I can get a monitor calibration tool, and learn how to use it effectively, I'll have to get by with what I have. So:
If I set the color space in capture nx to one of the choices available in the preferences tab of the computer, adobe RGB as an example, and then use an ICC profile for the paper I plan to use, then will I be even close to getting predictable results with printing?

Furthermore, if I shoot raw and jpeg both and if my camera settings are in sRGB mode I or III, then the jpeg images can be easily shared here while I still have the NEF for eventual printing after processing. Is that correct?

As you can tell I'm starting to get interested in proper color management.

Thanks

Patrice said:
I have an Intel MacBook ( 2 GB ), Nikon Capture NX, photoshop elements 4 and an Epson R1800 printer. Until I can get a monitor calibration tool, and learn how to use it effectively, I'll have to get by with what I have. So:
If I set the color space in capture nx to one of the choices available in the preferences tab of the computer, adobe RGB as an example, and then use an ICC profile for the paper I plan to use, then will I be even close to getting predictable results with printing?

Furthermore, if I shoot raw and jpeg both and if my camera settings are in sRGB mode I or III, then the jpeg images can be easily shared here while I still have the NEF for eventual printing after processing. Is that correct?

As you can tell I'm starting to get interested in proper color management.

Thanks

It's a little hard to define close but I see no reason your prints won't be close to the monitor image. Exact is another issue entirely. Print one to find out. You may want to pick up something like the Pantone Huey. It calibrates your monitor with ease and it costs less than $20.

The only reason I shoot jpeg along with raw is to be able to see the image and the histogram on the camera screen durint the shooting day. I throw them away when I'm finished shooting and simply copy the raw images into the computer for processing. I can convert those to jpeg easily if I want to post something on the web. For me, having both versions of the image just adds to the confusion and disk space used.

The only reason I shoot jpeg along with raw is to be able to see the image and the histogram on the camera screen durint the shooting day. I throw them away when I'm finished shooting and simply copy the raw images into the computer for processing

Can't you still the image and the histogram when you shoot just RAW? I know I can.

The only time I ever shot JPEG+RAW was when I was testing/comparing the quality...or when I wanted to be able to quickly upload some JPEGs without having to process the RAW files. Now that I'm faster with my RAW workflow...I see absolutely no reason to shoot RAW+Jpeg...it only takes up more space on the cards.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back