Am i missing something?

Raley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been seriously considering buying the nikon 105mm micro 2.8. I really want it, but the $800+ price tag is a little discouraging, would be rather irresponsible for me to spend that much on a lens at this point in time. So i have been looking at used lens's. I came across this lens Nikon 105 VR Lens Nikkor AF-S Micro 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Macro Lens Lente and i dont understand why it so cheap. I dont see if it says its used or new or if there is anything wrong with it. Am i not seeing something? I should add that i am shooting with a nikon 5600

If not obvious i really want to get into macro photography, i just think its the coolest thing. Are there other comparable lens for less, maybe like a tamron or sigma that will do the same thing for a cheaper price that someone can recommend?

Nikon has the 85mm f/3.5 DX micro lens specifically for DX cameras. Tokina has a 100mm f/2.8 macro lens that is very sharp.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I second the Tokina 100mm f/2.8. About $350 new.

Far as I can tell that's the same lens that is sold at around the $800 mark from other stores so seeing it at near 50% off is a BIG WARNING flag if that's supposed to be a brand new lens. Honestly I'd walk on by as it could be a bait and switch shop (low price but then they sting you for extras); or a scam. It might be grey importing, which isn't illegal but which comes with a penalty since Nikon won't even repair a lens from outside of its territory (and they certainly won't honour a warranty outside of territory either); which would mean using 3rd party stores or sending it back to its purchase territory for warranty/repair cover.

Also 50% off sounds too steep for typical Grey import savings (at least in my experience - the savings can be significant but not into the 50% bracket).

If a site is selling for way under the normal then you need to ask big questions because major undercutting of a price is a big warning in the camera market where margins are not huge to begin with.

Also what kit do you have now and what are your hopes with regard to macro? There are some very affordable and cheap ways to get into macro and they can produce very good results that can easily tide you over for a long while until you can save up and justify the cost of something like a dedicated macro lens.

Did you perhaps read their 20 part terms of service? It looks like a scam site to me. All all of the items listed are at prices that look to me, to be too good to be true. I would not order even a single square of toilet paper from this website in question

Do they sell single squares????????? I've been looking for someone who will sell it by the square!

;)

Agree 100%... any money given to this 'site will almost certainly be lost forever.

Stick to we’ll known brick and mortar stores or the established online sellers. Adorama, B&H, Cameta or buy one from someone who has references on the Nikon buy/swap/sell Facebook group.

I loved the 105 2.8 when I had a Nikon. It is the only thing I miss! I bought mine used from Adorama then sold it to another TPF member when I switched to Fuji.

What camera do you have?

If the camera has an in-body AF motor, you can use the 105 AF lens.
If not, then the older manual 55mm Micro Nikkor. This is what I use. Cost was less than $50.

Most reactions

Back