Am I over-PP?

Thanks for all the help on this one. I didn't realize I could "fake" DoF. I will have to play around with that a bit. But better yet, I'll learn my camera settings, so I don't have to!

This sort of thing is ALWAYS better done in camera. In the case of this particular image, since you're now using aperture to control DOF, you might also have moved them a few feet farther away from the tree trunk so that it, too, would have been less dominant.

When it comes down to it, it liked it best as it was originally shot. Great pose! Great subjects!

Thanks Sandspur! I don't have much confidence in my work when I look at the amazing work that other photographers do... there are a few I try to emulate, but I know I have a TON to learn, but I just feel like my stuff looks like crap compared to others. I'm hoping that with some reading and a few classes and lots of practice, that I'll be able to up my game some. Thanks for the encouragement! I really appreciate all the tips I've been getting on here already!

kinda interesting technique, but like others said I would only add minimal blur and just to the back ground, I do like it b and w too dont worry, the better you get the less PP tequniques for things like this and the more other pp tequniques yiyou will learn

Jenn ...

A little perspective if you don't mind:

Your clients aren't subjecting your images to the kind of comparative scrutiny and criticism you impose on yourself when you look at the work of other photograhers and find yourself wanting.

We can all do that. But if we allow it to continually question our talent and ability, we'll never get anywhere.

Of course, it's important to strive always to do better. But there's also a time when you should be able to look at your own work and say "Damn! I'm pretty good at this."

You're already there, BTW. At least some of the time. Probably far more often than you're willing to admit!

Be honest in your work. Be honest with your subjects/clients. Be hard (but forgiving) on yourself.

Hey, I'm just some old guy ... who's been doing this for a very, very long time ...

Thanks again, Sandspur. You're right. My clients seem very happy with what I've done so far. The one I posted on this thread was from a shoot I did for my cousin's family. I did it for them for free, since I was just getting started and needed practice. So I'm sure they were happy with them, especially for free. :wink: I have a few photos I'm pretty proud of, but there is so much to know in this field! I have a long way to go, so I'll definitely remember your words. Thanks again!

Jenn ...
Your clients aren't subjecting your images to the kind of comparative scrutiny and criticism you impose on yourself when you look at the work of other photograhers and find yourself wanting.

Sandspur you have said it perfectly, as usual.

Clients tend to have and emotional response whereas other photographers first have a technical response. Show me a blurry, noisy, poorly cropped of somebody's kid and I'll tell you it is awful. Show me the same picture of my little cousin, for example, and I'll probably love it.

Most reactions

Back