Am I Ready to Start Selling?

I'm on my phone so I can't see to high res but I like the composition, but I'm going to assume the focus is a bit off like what has been noticed. Somebody mentioned take off the uv filter, does that make a big difference?

Somebody mentioned take off the uv filter, does that make a big difference?
Many newbs walk out of the store with a cheap (not very good) UV filter that the sales person has suggested they keep on the front of the lens at all times.

After about a year the newbs can't seem to get their photos sharp enough so then we ask if they are using some kind of filter on the front. Chances are good that they are keeping one on there "for protection", and after they work up the courage to remove it, their photographs start looking sharper.

I figured, I hate that Adobe switched to subscriptions lol is it worth it?
you don't have to use the subscription but you have to dig around to find the products separately though, of course, at a higher initial price (but once).

If you go to the Very Bottom on the right, is the link to purchase the desktop LightRoom v6 version only for $149.00 in the US ==> Digital photography software | Download free Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC trial

Understand that if you purchase the desktop version you dont get photoshop nor any of the major updates included with subscriptions. Only you can determine if it's worth it.

Understand that if you purchase the desktop version you dont get photoshop nor any of the major updates included with subscriptions. Only you can determine if it's worth it.
It's a big chunk of change up front for sure, but at least then you can choose not to upgrade right away. Let those other guys sort out all of the bugs. :lol:

It's a big chunk of change up front for sure, but at least then you can choose not to upgrade right away. Let those other guys sort out all of the bugs. :lol:

Haaa very true. I also think; if an emergency happens and I can't afford the $9.99, I can just stop my monthly and use DPP for a while.

What are you focusing on in the images? I mean this literally. Where are you putting the focus point the camera is using? If you are on auto and it is selecting the focus point (my guess is that is what is happening), then the camera might pick his shoe, a tree, the fence, etc. That would explain the randomness to the focus in these shots.

There are different ways to handle focusing (some people love to use the center point and focus recompose and others pick the closes AF point to the thing they want in focus, for portraits that is generally the closest eye, and use that point) so play around with that.

I think you have a "style" people will buy and you generally have a grasp on framing the shot. Whether a bunch of photographers like the processing or whatever is almost irrelevant. Do parents and high school seniors like it? That's who you are selling to. Just get the focus and lighting (and/or post processing) dialed in and I think you could get some clients.

Thanks for the input guys! I'm definitely going to buy a speed light and practice with it. And practice on my focusing also. It was just hard to tell shooting at such a shallow DoF.

btw these were shot on my t3i with a 55mm 1.8

The some of the shots were at 1600 iso because I wasn't paying attention (my mistake) and then I switched to iso 400 for the rest.

I'll get the hang of it eventually lol
It's a lot to remember! You dropped down your f stop trying to get all the available light you could and that's where most of the focus issues come from. It's a mistake I make more than I wish I did even when I KNOW that I'm making it. I thought your poses and where you chose to do the shoot were great. The technical part will come with a ton of practice. Keep shooting and if people want to shoot you money for your time then let them. I'm sure this guy will love his photos regardless of the technical issues.

What are you focusing on in the images? I mean this literally. Where are you putting the focus point the camera is using? If you are on auto and it is selecting the focus point (my guess is that is what is happening), then the camera might pick his shoe, a tree, the fence, etc. That would explain the randomness to the focus in these shots.

There are different ways to handle focusing (some people love to use the center point and focus recompose and others pick the closes AF point to the thing they want in focus, for portraits that is generally the closest eye, and use that point) so play around with that.

I think you have a "style" people will buy and you generally have a grasp on framing the shot. Whether a bunch of photographers like the processing or whatever is almost irrelevant. Do parents and high school seniors like it? That's who you are selling to. Just get the focus and lighting (and/or post processing) dialed in and I think you could get some clients.
I actually went back in to re edit them and paid way more attention to what I was doing in post, I think they turned out 100x better! Here are 2 of them for example...
IMG_9938-2.jpg
IMG_9963-2.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back