Am new need help.

rottee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Im very new to photography and Im thinking of buying either nikon d50 or d80 secondhand can people advice me which lenses I would need to get as I intend to photograph dogs doing schutzhund which involves them in movement running also distance from the dogs will be involved but also will do photos of them still?
I am enrolling in a college course just need advice to get me started.

All advice is really appreciated

Depends on what your budget is. I'm assuming that you going into college, and having to buy a second hand older generation camera means you don't have thousands of dollars to spend.

It is general consensus that it is way more bang for the buck putting money into a new, high end lens than putting it in a camera body. A great lens will last a looong time, a body will be upgraded.

For your needs, as you will probably be shooting indoors, fastish moving subjects, and require distance, you are looking at a 70-200 f/2.8 lens with VR (vibration reduction). This lens is in the $2000 range.

Other options are Sigma and Tamron equivalent lenses. Really, what to look for are a wide aperture (f/2.8) and a long range.

Primes can be an option, but a fast prime is often more expensive than a zoom. I'm also thinking that for a dog show, the shooter may not have that much foot room to move around to adjust his focal range with a prime, so a zoom might be handier.

If your budget doesn't afford an expensive or faster lense I would recommend a less expensive zoom lens and shooting with a higher ISO. Unless you planning on making very large prints, this may be a good option for you.

Are you taking 1 course in college or actually going into a photography program?

Most reactions

Back