Am taking 35mm Slide pics - Need help resolving underexposure for indoor pics w/flash

hrzaidi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Am really struggling here.:confused:

I am using Fujichrome ISO 100 Slide Film. Have used three camera/flash sets (Nikon N80+SB50DX Flash, Minolta X-700 + Minolta 220x Automatic Flash and Nikon 8008s & Nikon SB24 Flash using TTL) and am getting the following:

Outdoors, pictures are perfect.
Indoors, all pictures using flash (typically at camera's Program setting) are under-exposed and have reddish tint. How do I correctly take indoor pics with flash using ISO 100 Fujichrome ?

When I try the same aperture/shutter/ISO combo using my Nikon D5200 & Nissin 622 Mark II flash, I get perfect shots.

Currently I have put another roll in my 8008s and fear the same will happen.

Please help.

Show us the bad flash photos.

Note that all the pics are taken inside, always with flash. Room is "normally" lit (i.e. the lamps and lights are on") - room is not dark or lights switched off. Subjects are typically 5-10 ft away (usually I take pics of my kids). Attached is a scan of bad pic example. Just a reminder, these are slides. I get them developed from B&H. $Example Underexposed 2.jpg

I have uploaded a pic in this thread. Also, note that I typically use a 50mm lens. They go down to f1.8 on one camera and f2.4 on the other. I use Program mode indoors. Thanks

Last edited:
If the slides are perfect outside then the film is daylight balanced. The color shift is probably due to the difference in color temperature between sunlight and the lights inside, although incandescent light usually causes a dark yellow or amber tint. I never shot much slide film indoors so it may be different than color negative film.

The underexposure is just underexposure. It could be that the flashes aren't putting out at full power for some reason. Just keep in mind that it's going to do it and overexpose by about a half a stop.

Take a shot of a gray card and see how far off the color is on it.

One more fact: I do typically bounce flash (i.e. set flash at 45 degrees - used to give me softer, better pics indoors with a 10ft white ceiling when I used to shoot print film instead of slides), or use a diffuser (again, with digital and print film, they give great results).

480sparky.... I will do that with my current roll (which I now intend to burn through to experiment) and take a pic of gray card. BTW, what will that tell me ?

And from how far away should I shoot ?
Also, I am assuming, I should use flash and take the shot at an angle (or else the flash will reflect back) ?

480sparky.... I will do that with my current roll (which I now intend to burn through to experiment) and take a pic of gray card. BTW, what will that tell me ?

Also, I am assuming, I should use flash and take the shot at an angle (or else the flash will reflect back) ?
You'll have to look at the guide numbers for your flashes and see what they allow. The guide number divided by the aperture yields the distance to the subject. Keep in mind that if you are bouncing off the ceiling the distance will be the distance from the flash to the ceiling AND back down to the subject, not the straight distance to the subject. It will actually be less unless the ceiling is 100% reflective.

Scraig....Got it..... Will try it..... and great reminder about the reflected distance vs straight (infact I will take with and without bounce).

Any other experimentation thoughts that could give insights ?

Scraig....Got it..... Will try it..... and great reminder about the reflected distance vs straight (infact I will take with and without bounce).

Any other experimentation thoughts that could give insights ?

Well, you've got mixed lighting sources as it is. Your flash is daylight balanced unless you have a filter on it and the ambient lights are probably incandescent. I'd recommend shooting tungsten-balanced film indoors and if you choose to use a flash getting a filter for it to balance the light. Any time you have multiple light sources it's virtually impossible to get an accurate white balance.

You'll have to look at the guide numbers for your flashes and see what they allow. The guide number divided by the aperture yields the distance to the subject. Keep in mind that if you are bouncing off the ceiling the distance will be the distance from the flash to the ceiling AND back down to the subject, not the straight distance to the subject. It will actually be less unless the ceiling is 100% reflective.

Yes, unless you have mirrors on the ceiling you will need to allow for the reflectivity of the ceiling. I allow about 1 stop for a white ceiling. If the ceiling is colored it may be best not to use it.

As others have said, it's likely a colour balance issue. I have had bad luck with film in mixed lighting.

The color in your slides is off because you are using lighting of mixed color temperature (flash + household lights).

The usual solution is to use a proper lighting set up. For example, 2 or more flash units with soft boxes, umbrellas, etc. or some other proper photographic lighting set up (without the household lights).

The exposure in the image you posted doesn't look that far off to me but if you want more exposure, give it more exposure.

I would suggest not using PROGRAM.... go to manual on both the bodies and the flash... and use the Distance / Guide number charts to calculate your flash exposure. That will be much more accurate.... Slide film has much less exposure latitude than C41 process does. You have to nail it. Try direct flash to ensure that you are not getting color cast from the bounce... and don't use any homemade diffusers or anything.

I have also seen heat (Film got hot) cause that reddish effect in C41 and E6. The Fuji reversal films are E6... and if poorly stored, they will take on a Magenta Cast.

Most reactions

Back