Amazing updates to LR selections and masking!

So, LR has been happily telling me my version 6.0 is up to date- which it is perfectly updated v6. I missed the part somehow where it wet to 9, now 11... I've been editing in the ice ages.

I thought I read somewhere that it would stop updating if your hardware or operating software was incompatible but I can't remember where.

Adobe has really good help through Chat. Would suggest starting here https://helpx.adobe.com/support/lightroom-cc.html

Thanks Smoke - not sure where I went wrong to stop the updates, but I was able to install the new version as a new app. After some catalog upgrading or somesuch, I'm playing with the new version now. Tons different. At first try I think I like the new masking arrangement.

Have you checked out Anthony Morganti's tutorial?

Yes watched it today. I may buy the Matt K course since it is fairly inexpensive and I like his teaching style. Also it comes with a bunch of preset brushes.
So, LR has been happily telling me my version 6.0 is up to date- which it is perfectly updated v6. I missed the part somehow where it wet to 9, now 11... I've been editing in the ice ages.
Oh no! Yes you probably have been. I’m fairly new to LRC so I’m not sure what you’ve been missing. You should contact Adobe support and maybe get a few free months out of not (assuming you’re on the monthly cc plan?).

I know that my Adobe wouldn't update for a while because they stopped supporting something on windows 8.1.

In full fairness to Adobe I'm impressed that they keep the older versions on their system and do update them now and then. Most companies only stick to one version of software being active and distributed if they can, and its not as if upgrading through the subscription system comes with any additional costs.

@Overread, Adobe is in the business of marketing new (which attracts new subscribers), theres no money in the old, especially with the subscription model. According to their site " Security and bug fixes are only provided for the current CC version.". They will provide technical support only for the perpepetual license back to V4. and LR CC back to V9.. I don't remember any CC new feature roll outs coming mid year or mid version.

Last edited:
I'm down here in Tampa/Clearwate as are Matt and Scott Kelby. I attended Scotts videoing his setting up LR and he pointed out that LR was designed for photographers, PS not so. He is a photoshop guru and noted that LR is getting most of the updates with not as many for PS. This one looks substantial.

These updates run well on Windows 11 too :)

Tried out the new masking features and I'm loving them. The ability to intersect masks with other ones and invert them is really handy for me. The AI selection for subject and skies is particularly useful as a base selection.

Tried out the new masking features and I'm loving them. The ability to intersect masks with other ones and invert them is really handy for me. The AI selection for subject and skies is particularly useful as a base selection.
On Photoshop 2022, you can download 100's of sky templates :)

Not that I use them being a wildlife photographer @weepete

Les :)

On Photoshop 2022, you can download 100's of sky templates :)

Not that I use them being a wildlife photographer @weepete

Les :)
It's not for sky replacements, though I appreciate that's all the rage currently.

But quite often I'll do seperate exposure adjusments on the foreground and sky of my landscape shots, and often there's some complex shapes (like mountains with trees) sticking up through the frame. Being able to intersect a graduated filter with an AI sky selection is fantastic, as it creates a much more refined ajdustment.

It's not for sky replacements, though I appreciate that's all the rage currently.

But quite often I'll do seperate exposure adjusments on the foreground and sky of my landscape shots, and often there's some complex shapes (like mountains with trees) sticking up through the frame. Being able to intersect a graduated filter with an AI sky selection is fantastic, as it creates a much more refined ajdustment.
Oh I see- sorry I misread your post fella :(

I’m going to have to try another sky replacement to test it out. I’m assuming all these masking updates will have improved the accuracy on that selection process as well.

I'm liking the new masking. I had a photo of a swan on a mixed background. I created a gradient mask for the background and then subtracted out the swan (subject) so as not to affect it. It saved me a lot of manual erasing with the brush.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back