SUPER RESOLUTION!!!

Yes.
This enhance is not currently in LR ... so I installed Bridge (which is free for everyone) to check it out.

Now that I use LRC, the ACR seems to be built in????? Or

You are correct when you open an image in LR it's the same as ACR. If you open an image in ACR you'll find the exact same panels you have in LR. My workflow is to transfer images ftom disk to file in Bridge, because I find it faster to do the first cull and even the first minor edits, then go to LR, then PS. However now that I can access ACR from Bridge, I may reevaluate that.

DO NOT try this on very small JPEG's, as they get super pixelized.

Interesting. It also will not work the second time on an image.

Correct it is not YET in LR but hold on coming soon to a LR near you.......

Lr just updated yesterday, but I didn't see anything in it. Did you read something about it or just assuming? Of late, Adobe seems to be trying to utilize Bridge more, allowing you to do more faster, becoming an intergal part of the editing workflow.

would you be please so kind and try out a PS super resolution

I haven't tried it with a tiff yet, so not sure if this is normal, but when I tried the Enhance, it doubled the image size, (original 800x800 to 1600x1600) but the option to enhance raw details was grayed out. There is a warning Raw Details, "Applicable only to Bayer and X-Trans raw files".

Metadata on the file shows it was processed in Raw Therapee. Do you have an unprocessed raw file you'd like to try?

Last edited:
would you be please so kind and try out a PS super resolution

I haven't tried it with a tiff yet, so not sure if this is normal, but when I tried the Enhance, it doubled the image size, (original 800x800 to 1600x1600) but the option to enhance raw details was grayed out. There is a warning Raw Details, "Applicable only to Bayer and X-Trans raw files".

Metadata on the file shows it was processed in Raw Therapee. Do you have an unprocessed raw file you'd like to try?

sure, here is the original RAW file

Lr just updated yesterday, but I didn't see anything in it. Did you read something about it or just assuming? Of late, Adobe seems to be trying to utilize Bridge more, allowing you to do more faster, becoming an intergal part of the editing workflow.

I "read between the lines" from Terry White's video on this feature. Him and Scott Kelby seem to indicate that it will be coming to LR. (And they are in the know)

As for bridge, I haven't noticed any more emphasis on them using it. Personally I don't see them moving away from the current LR to PS because there are so many "fauxtogs" out there that edit 99% of their images in LR and only go to PS when they have to. I still do the bulk of my editing with LR but I still use PS a good bit to do a better job with cleanup of sensor dust or cloning stamp, healing, dodge and burn.

Adobe Says "Super Resolution" Featuring Coming to Lightroom Soon! - Lightroom Killer Tips

Okay got it, caffeine hadn't kicked in yet. The original file size on this was 6000 x 4000 @ 27.1 MB. When I ran the Enhancement, the file size changed to 12,000 x 8,000 @ 309.9 MB. Here is a heavy crop of the original.
DSC_0160original.jpg

And another crop of the enhanced.
DSC_0160-Enhanced crop.jpg

If you download them and compare side by side, there's just a very slight improvement in details, but there's a lot of noise in the original image. Also these are the original raw files with no editing.

Last edited:
Thank you @smoke665 ... I've been testing mentioned gimp-ml (machine learning), now seeing this .. it doesn't look to me like especially big deal .. if I put together that all (including this) it leads me to my previous conclusion about rather marketing feature .. perceptually I can resize (with gimp-ml up to 4x) anything and after applying a sharpening I am getting *same* results as this fancy feature from Adobe .. I don't say it's bad, it's as you said an `upgrade to service' that you already have

@ntz with any AI software the end result depends on the original. AI can't magically produce details where none exist. Fuzzy lines, chromatic/signal noise, low contrast, will still be there in an enhanced image. I didn't do it on this but Adobe recommends editing the raw file to correct the things I mentioned before you run the Enhance feature.

There are two camps out there, those determined "NOT TO USE" Adobe and those "WHO DO". After a few years of being in the first camp, I've been firmly in the latter for many years, marketing hype had little to do with it. For me it was a decision based on features, that has worked well, especially since it enhances and speeds up my work flow. There's a big difference in editing one shot or a 100 plus, the ability to tether in studio, file management or all the other features available. For others these issues might not be as important........whatever works!

I don't subscribe , yet.....but saw this article the other day and seems incredible.
So in my search for a new laptop, I guess I am going to need a WHOLE lot more storage or ram or something. :}
This is new to Adobe, but otherwise not new. Lots of other apps have provided similar tools/functions over the years. I wouldn't chose to subscribe or not to Adobe based on this late-to-the-party addon or at least I'd compare it to alternatives first.

This is just another interpolation function that takes an amount of data adequate to fill X area and spreads it out over X+ area filling in the missing data.

Okay got it, caffeine hadn't kicked in yet. The original file size on this was 6000 x 4000 @ 27.1 MB. When I ran the Enhancement, the file size changed to 12,000 x 8,000 @ 309.9 MB. Here is a heavy crop of the original.
View attachment 204538
And another crop of the enhanced.
View attachment 204539

If you download them and compare side by side, there's just a very slight improvement in details, but there's a lot of noise in the original image. Also these are the original raw files with no editing.

Here's another one to compare. On1 got their start many years ago when they bought Genuine Fractals which was strictly a re-size tool, so they've been at this for a long time. It's now incorporated into their raw develop software. I put ntz's photo through their tool and only re-sized it. When I compared the result with the Adobe version Smoke posted here I'd give the tip to Adobe. However the ON1 tool comes with pretty sophisticated sharpening built in so I went back and added a light amount of sharpening and got a result comparable to Adobe's. Unfortunately both Adobe and On1 do basic processing to get a photo open and demosaiced so it's really hard to make these kind of comparisons. I'd say it's good for Adobe users to have a new tool in their toolset and it seems very comparable to other such tools already available.

super-duper-upper.jpg

However the ON1 tool comes with pretty sophisticated sharpening built in so I went back and added a light amount of sharpening and got a result comparable to Adobe's.

If I drop Adobe I'd consider ON1, but their monthly subscription is only a couple dollars less per month and doesn't seem to have the same value as Adobe.

Also, I didn't post an edited version but the Enhance feature does a much better job if you edit first

However the ON1 tool comes with pretty sophisticated sharpening built in so I went back and added a light amount of sharpening and got a result comparable to Adobe's.

If I drop Adobe I'd consider ON1, but their monthly subscription is only a couple dollars less per month and doesn't seem to have the same value as Adobe.
It doesn't. LR is the better overall choice and offers much more. I like On1 as a generally good performer but I don't like the way they implement a lot of their extended features -- resize for example -- by creating raster files. If you use that function they output a PSD file and you have to continue working with that. Adobe creates a linear DNG which is the same thing. Using On1 you can find yourself with a raster anchor tied to your ankle. One of my goals in editing is to stay away from anything raster all the time.

Just wanted to note that this isn't anything especially new -- many more options in addition to On1. What's new is that everything now get's called "AI."

Also, I didn't post an edited version but the Enhance feature does a much better job if you edit first
Same for On1.

I don't subscribe , yet.....but saw this article the other day and seems incredible.
So in my search for a new laptop, I guess I am going to need a WHOLE lot more storage or ram or something. :}
This is new to Adobe, but otherwise not new. Lots of other apps have provided similar tools/functions over the years. I wouldn't chose to subscribe or not to Adobe based on this late-to-the-party addon or at least I'd compare it to alternatives first.

This is just another interpolation function that takes an amount of data adequate to fill X area and spreads it out over X+ area filling in the missing data.

Thx, actually I wasn't making a decision based on this feature. Was joking how much more ram/memory I will need. ;)

Been playing with it a little Seems very similar to Gigapixel AI, which I've been using since it came out. I'll have to see how it handles noise. With Gigapixel, I have to denoise some images before a resize, or else it will "resize" the noise!

I never even got the texture slider

Most reactions

Back