Johann Schutte

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.js.net.nz
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Canon 70d. Tokina 100mm prime (as Tube lens). Nikon mic objective.

Attachments

• 2015-01-23-19.jpg
    2015-01-23-19.jpg
    482 KB · Views: 130
Beauty of a shot! Shame you couldn't get more of the eyes; but really love the result you've got!

i assume you photostacked and the edge of the eyes got lost in the stacking process? In general I find you've got to stack with the frame almost backwards in that hte last frame should be the entire frame you want; whilst hte first should have waste.

Beauty of a shot! Shame you couldn't get more of the eyes; but really love the result you've got!

i assume you photostacked and the edge of the eyes got lost in the stacking process? In general I find you've got to stack with the frame almost backwards in that hte last frame should be the entire frame you want; whilst hte first should have waste.

Exactly what happened! This was done a year or so ago. Won't make the same mistake again.

Do you have ideas on mechanical/electrical fine positioning of the subject? This is a real problem if you try and deal with it manually using bluetack and whatnot at larger than 1:1. I have looked at the precision engineered stuff, but very very expensive, and my wife is in clear disagreement whenever i broach the topic, irrespective of how subtle. i have been given the advice to assemble something with the stepper motors from old CD drives, controlled with arduino, and am looking into that.

I've got my eye on the Cognisys stuff, however going by what you say I supsect this is either what you've seen already or is still out of your price range
Cognisys - Capture the Hidden World

Although if you can hide a bit away under the mattress every so often you might be able to save up for a kit.

Custom setups I've not done as I lack experience and tools; but if you've got that then I'd head over to
www.photomacrography.net :: Index
And ask; they've a very dedicated and serious segment of the population so chances are that there's a good few in there who might well know how to do this or have done it.

Thanks for the quick response. I have Cognisys' stackshot. What I'm looking for is something to fine tune the subject's position, i.e. fine adjustments in all three axes, as well as roll, yaw & pitch. Not sure if Cognisys makes something like that. I think I've been to photomacrography. There are lots of improvised systems. am surprized that no-one has come up with a commercially available positioning system for the macrophotogapher, or none that i am aware of.

I've not looked but I think they do have a 3 position system; though most I've seen for that have been for those 3D room composits rather than insects.
Don't forget you could always mount the subject to the stackshot - in the past for fun I put everything I had onto one lens to do a macro shot of a ballpoint pen (the ball filled over 50% of the frame), for that I put the pen on a bit of bluetack on the focusing rails and moved that - was very rough and ready but worked okish for that; stackshot should work for that; though yes would only be one axis.

Most reactions

Back