Some kind of moth, and also wanting advice on macro photography

TarterTurtle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went to a camera store in Asheville NC and when I saw macro bellows I couldn’t not get them. I’ve wanted to get into macro but my 3D printed extensions tubes are a bit crude. I took this with a Vivitar 80-200 lens, I think I used 100mm, I don’t remember the settings I used because the bellows are manual. I’m planning on going back to the store on Friday and grabbing a 100mm prime lens (lmk if there is something better), so I have something more suited for the task.
I’m unsure of how the focal length effects the image and how the focus on the lens works with the macro bellows, and also if anyone has a recommendation for a good focal length to use with the bellows.
I appreciate any advice!
Thank you!

6984CF17-130E-42B2-8E78-80ACFBD12AB0.jpeg

I went to a camera store in Asheville NC and when I saw macro bellows I couldn’t not get them. I’ve wanted to get into macro but my 3D printed extensions tubes are a bit crude. I took this with a Vivitar 80-200 lens, I think I used 100mm, I don’t remember the settings I used because the bellows are manual. I’m planning on going back to the store on Friday and grabbing a 100mm prime lens (lmk if there is something better), so I have something more suited for the task.
I’m unsure of how the focal length effects the image and how the focus on the lens works with the macro bellows, and also if anyone has a recommendation for a good focal length to use with the bellows.
I appreciate any advice!
Thank you!

View attachment 258133
About all you could want to know here:

That's pretty good for a zoom on a 3d printed extension tube.

Don't know about the moth
I can't really comment on bellows ... last time I had one was on a 4x5 Cambo ... but you should be able to get a cheap Maco lens in an F mount from any third party like Sigma, Tamron, Tokina ... etc.

I think most people use bellows to get really high macro magnification and use a standard 50mm lens with it.
Olympus has some dandy lenses for bellows use ... but that is not your system.

I started out using cheap 50 or 90mm macros ... I got a 150mm but I don't use it much as my 50mm.

Last edited:
That's pretty good for a zoom on a 3d printed extension tube.

Don't know about the moth
I can't really comment on bellows ... last time I had one was on a 4x5 Cambo ... but you should be able to get a cheap Maco lens in an F mount from any third party like Sigma, Tamron, Tokina ... etc.

I think most people use bellows to get really high macro magnification and use a standard 50mm lens with it.
Olympus has some dandy lenses for bellows use ... but that is not your system.

I started out using cheap 50 or 90mm macros ... I got a 150mm but I don't use it much as my 50mm.
Haha I already have the bellows, thats what I took those on. I used my 50mm but I had the subjects practically touching the glass.

Looks like a skipper butterfly to me and it doesn't appear to be totally in focus. That can be hard to achieve with macro in the field. I recommend watching a lot of videos on macro and practice a lot to get better, it's the only way. GL!

Agree it looks like a skipper. They do resemble moths. If you have a pic of the wings it can be better identified. There are many here in MA.

For me it depends on what type of macro subjects you plan to shoot. If you’re looking to shoot really small insects then yes 100mm is a great choice. For me I’m usually looking for a bit wider to get more into the frame and take photos of larger subjects like flowers or butterflies so in that case I like a 60 or an 80 mm.

I found Flickr really useful for making decisions like this. You can browse in the macro groups for photos that you like and most of the time the camera and lens information is provided so you can see if there’s a common focal length that you’re drawn to.

You should also publish your settings

Nice shot! Another vote for Skipper. I have the Sigma 105mm prime macro, and I like it. I also got a set of inexpensive set of JJC auto-focus extension tubes in 12, 20, and 36mm. They work well with my Sigma, as well as my Tamron 18-400mm zoom.

Most reactions

Back