Amish Blacksmith

PropilotBW

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Taken in Nappanee, Indiana @ Amish Acres farm.

I was playing around in Lightroom. I don't really know much about Black and White, but I felt this picture was much better in BW than it was in color.

Any suggestions?

P9050983.jpg

im not really a big B&W fan to begin with, so I wont comment much on the tonal range...doesn't look bad to me though.
It is nice to see some "street" style photography that isn't just another "here's some random person doing random stuff" shot.
lot of substance with this one...lot of history and culture.
I suppose the only other critique I could offer is that personally, I would crop it just a hair tighter and get the last bit of those trees on the far right and far left out of the frame. (well, you would still have leaves from the left tree, but i think you should crop out the partial trunks at least)

No one can make much in the way of suggestions without:
1. Seeing the original color photo, and
2. You saying what edits you did to convert from color to B&W.

IMO the wagons, wheelbarrow, and hitching post need to stay in the frame.
The picnic table in the background can go.

I agree the photo is flat and ab it to gray, but that may be because of the cloudy skies. Maybe not.
I say it over and over again. Add supplemental lighting if you want your photos to 'pop'.
A flash unit and umbrella on a light stand 1o feet or so camera right and aimed at the shop would have made a big difference.

How did you convert from color to B&W?
Did you just crank the Saturation all the way down, or did you adjust a variety of color sliders and do some dodge and burn?

I'd love to see the color version. Say, did you get any shots of the Amish NASA while you were there?

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk

No one can make much in the way of suggestions without:
1. Seeing the original color photo, and
2. You saying what edits you did to convert from color to B&W.

IMO the wagons, wheelbarrow, and hitching post need to stay in the frame.
The picnic table in the background can go.

I agree the photo is flat and ab it to gray, but that may be because of the cloudy skies. Maybe not.
I say it over and over again. Add supplemental lighting if you want your photos to 'pop'.
A flash unit and umbrella on a light stand 1o feet or so camera right and aimed at the shop would have made a big difference.

How did you convert from color to B&W?
Did you just crank the Saturation all the way down, or did you adjust a variety of color sliders and do some dodge and burn?

um...yes we can. aaaaand....we did.
in fact, you made several relevant suggestions without seeing the original photo or knowing what edits were made so...

Here's an edit that I did. Does it look less flat now? I removed the picnic table, although a really crappy job of it.
I lowered the red saturation to almost zero, and decreased the blue saturation to bring out the detail in the clouds, added contrast, clarity, and some tone adjustments.

P9050983.jpg

Original Photo, straight out of camera.

blacksmith orig.jpg

Here's an edit that I did. Does it look less flat now? I removed the picnic table, although a really crappy job of it.
I lowered the red saturation to almost zero, and decreased the blue saturation to bring out the detail in the clouds, added contrast, clarity, and some tone adjustments.

Ok, could just be me but I like the color version myself.

Ok, could just be me but I like the color version myself.

I much prefer color over B&W almost every time. I just thought converting to B&W was my attempt at making this piece timeless (ignoring the power lines in the background). I think a Sepia conversion would be nice too, I just couldn't find that "filter" in Lightroom. lol.

I think I would have preferred a different angle and maybe a little lower for composition purposes. The right side background to me throughs this off a bit.

I think I would have preferred a different angle and maybe a little lower for composition purposes. The right side background to me throughs this off a bit.

I agree, the background isn't ideal, I can't do much about that without spending time in Photoshop.

For composition, I wanted the chimney showing on the roof, so that's what I was thinking there.
I though about lower angle, but it didn't feel right. I don't normally view a barn from laying on the grass. The wagons would be too tall on the barn from a lower angle.

I like the BW. I'm distracted by the light pole in the background on the right.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back