An Afternoon and evening in Bath, UK

thereyougo!

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yesterday I went to Bath and caught up with my parents for my mum's birthday. As I arrived, it had just been raining, but it brightened up in no time. These are pretty popular subjects for shooting, so won't be hugely original, but Bath is a great city.

Some of the Royal Crescent:

1. Nikon D800 Nikkor 14 - 24 at f/8 and 16mm 1/125 ISO 50

Royal-Crescent,-Bath by singingsnapper, on Flickr

2. 16mm f/13 1/125 ISO 100

bath-royal-crescent by singingsnapper, on Flickr

3. 16mm f/13 1/200 ISO 100

bath-royal-crescent-2 by singingsnapper, on Flickr

West Gate of Bath Abbey - unfortunately, the Abbey is surrounded by maintenance works so not many shots to be had of the whole building:

4. Nikkor 24 - 70 at f/8 1/5 ISO 100

West-door-of-Bath-Abbey by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Then down to Pulteney Bridge - a very popular haunt for tourists with their flashing cameras. Had to balance my tripod on the wall which made me nervous as the water is deep and a long way down. (all with Nikkor 24 - 70)

5. f/8 29mm 5 secs ISO 50 with circular polariser

Pulteney-Bridge,-Bath-5 by singingsnapper, on Flickr

6. f/11 24mm 30 secs ISO 100 with CP

Pulteney-Bridge,-Bath-4 by singingsnapper, on Flickr

7. f/11 27mm 10 secs ISO 100 (without CP)

Pulteney-Bridge,-Bath-3 by singingsnapper, on Flickr

8. A crop of the above:

Pulteney-Bridge,-Bath-2 by singingsnapper, on Flickr

9. 24mm f/11 10 secs ISO 100 (without CP)

Pulteney-Bridge,-Bath by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Love the 3rd one, the first two need straitening up a bit, they are on a slight angle, I much prefer 8 to 6, just because of the lighting, although maybe pull the saturation of the yellow down just a touch and the crop from 7 is a nice touch.

Thanks - the crescent is tough to get right - All were shot on a tripod, the crescent is a little higher on the left in real life so is a nightmare with an ultrawide to get it straight. I used all the tools the camera had, with teh added challenge of shooting from an angle to get the street in too on No2.

My camera and my tripod both told me it was level - was shooting with an ultrawide so distortion comes into it too. The two end of the crescent aren't level in real life, but our eyes like to see it level.

Right I'm with you! Just a thought, using the distortion from the camera, could you have moved to the left? So the ends of the buildings (the flat parts facing you) were the same size? Then would it have flowed around level?

If I had moved to the left, I would have had to take the lens to its widest setting and I try to avoid doing this unless necessary to get he best out of the lens. The 14 - 24 is much better at 16mm than my Canon 16 - 35 is for example. I'm not frightened of shooting at 14mm, but I try to use a FL a few mm up.

Yeah that's understandable, I wish I had a wide angle! I've just ordered a cheap converter for my 18-70, I know they are no good, but it gives me something different to think about and practice with until I get a decent wide angle lens! Have you got any other examples of your wide angle?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back